MIAMI — A 34-year-old man from Yemen who has spent the past 12 years at Guantanamo Bay has been rejected as a candidate for release from the U.S. base in Cuba.
Prisoner Abdel Malik al-Rahabi was the second Guantanamo prisoner to appear before a board reevaluating the cases of about 40 men previously deemed too dangerous to release. The six-member panel determined Rahabi should remain in custody. The board said he has significant ties to al-Qaeda and would pose a threat if he returns to Yemen.
Rahabi’s attorney told the review panel Jan. 28 that the prisoner was eager to return to his family and to launch an agriculture enterprise with former Guantanamo prisoners. The attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the decision announced Wednesday.