washingtonpost.com  > Metro > Obituaries
Page 2 of 3  < Back     Next >


John Bernard Dickman III Patent Lawyer

John Bernard Dickman III, 85, a patent lawyer in Washington for many years, died of cancer April 20 at Manor Care Health Services in Chevy Chase. He was a longtime resident of the District.

Mr. Dickman was born in Washington and was in the first graduating class of Woodrow Wilson Senior High School in 1936. He received his law degree from what is now Catholic University's Columbus School of Law.

_____Obituary Submissions_____
Visit the obituary information page to learn about news obituary and death notice submissions.

During World War II, he served with the Army in the Pacific Theater. Returning to civilian life, he became a patent and trademark lawyer in partnership with his father. After his father's death, he remained a solo practitioner for more than 40 years.

A lifetime member of the United States Power Squadrons, a nonprofit boating organization, he loved fishing and boating. He was an ardent gardener, and from early spring through late fall he tended a large garden at his property on the Chesapeake Bay. Friends and neighbors were beneficiaries of his raspberries, tomatoes, peas and other garden produce. He also loved the animal life around the bay; ducks and geese often crowded around him for treats.

Mr. Dickman was a member of St. Ann's Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include his companion of 40 years, Betty Tolbert of Washington; and a brother.

Elizabeth M. Ebelhar Secretary, Army Veteran

Elizabeth M. Ebelhar, 98, a retired Agriculture Department secretary, Women's Army Corps veteran and active volunteer, died of congestive heart failure April 19 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Ms. Ebelhar, a native of Owensboro, Ky., joined the Women's Army Corps in 1942. She was promoted to platoon sergeant and was in charge of training 60 female soldiers while stationed in Des Moines.

She eventually was sent to Europe, where she was among the troops who marched down the Champs-Elysees in Paris at the end of World War II. She also met with Pope Pius XII in a semi-private audience that her chaplain arranged.

After the war, Ms. Ebelhar graduated from Andrew Jackson University in Nashville, then moved to Washington to begin a civil service career with the Agriculture Department in 1949. She worked there as a secretary until 1975.

Over the years, she was an active member of the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament Church in Washington. She was a past president of Our Lady's Sodality and a volunteer at D.C. Village, an emergency shelter for homeless families.

At the shelter, she prepared the altar for Mass and helped some of the elderly residents travel from their rooms to the chapel and breakfast. She organized seasonal activities for the residents by recruiting other parishioners to help.

She also planned social and holiday events at the D.C. Home for the Blind.

She leaves no immediate survivors.

< Back  1 2 3    Next >

© 2005 The Washington Post Company