washingtonpost.com  > Print Edition > Metro > Articles Inside Metro


Friday, April 1, 2005; Page B02


Escape Attempt Two inmates at a Baltimore juvenile detention facility have been charged with assault and attempted escape after threatening guards with scissors and locking them in a vacant room, officials said.

The two teenagers, whose names were not released, threatened two staff members at the Charles H. Hickey Jr. School early Wednesday, said LaWanda Edwards, spokeswoman for the state Department of Juvenile Services. The youths have been charged as adults with first-degree assault, possession of a deadly weapon and attempted first-degree escape.

Police Chase A chase that led police from the District into Prince George's County ended after the suspect they were following committed a carjacking and was then shot, according to police.

About 2 p.m. yesterday, District police spotted a man at Pennsylvania and Southern avenues SE whom they wanted to question in a separate case. The suspect gave chase and police followed, said Quintin Peterson, a D.C. police spokesman.

The man, whom police would not identify, carjacked a person at gunpoint near Brooks Drive and White Owl Way, said Cpl. Kimberly Brown, a Prince George's County police spokeswoman. He got out of the car, which was still running, at a McDonald's drive-through on Marlboro Pike. The car hit an occupied vehicle, but nobody was hurt, she said.

At that point, a gun was fired, and the suspect was hit in the upper body, Brown said. She said it was unclear whether the gun was fired by the man or by D.C. police. The suspect was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.

Killer Sentenced An Anne Arundel County man who stabbed his mother to death and briefly stashed her body in the freezer of an Annapolis sandwich shop was sentenced yesterday to 20 years in prison.

Jason Blevins, 25, attacked his mother at the Subway on Forest Drive, where she worked, in December 2003 after she refused to let him and his wife move into her home, prosecutors said. Police found the body of Mary Ginger, 51, in the walk-in freezer several hours later. She had been stabbed 126 times.

Blevins pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

Capital Case Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for a man charged in three homicides that date back more than a decade, a spokeswoman for the Anne Arundel County state's attorney's office said yesterday.

Prosecutors will ask that Alexander Watson, 35, be executed in the rape and slaying of Mary Elaine Shereika. The 37-year-old Gambrills resident was killed in 1988 after she left her home for a morning jog.

Watson was serving a life sentence for a 1994 murder in Prince George's County when authorities used DNA evidence to link him to the three additional slayings.

Man Killed A man was fatally shot during an argument Wednesday night in Landover Hills, Prince George's County police said.

Terrell Maurice Anderson, 30, of the 1600 block of Marcy Avenue in Oxon Hill, was found wounded at 10 p.m. lying in the 5300 block of Quincy Street.

Jerry D. Tyree Jr., 27, was charged with first-degree murder. Tyree, of the 3400 block of Lottsford Vista Road in Mitchellville, was being held without bond last night.

Indictments Two men were indicted yesterday in Prince George's County in the Feb. 14 slaying of Lanham basketball coach Robert Gail.

Lawrence I. Green, 22, of Lanham and Byron Israel, 18, of the District were fleeing a home invasion when their car collided with Gail's, police said. Green allegedly got out and shot Gail, 41, a Metrobus driver.

Compiled from reports by staff writers.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company