washingtonpost.com  > Metro > Obituaries


Sunday, October 10, 2004; Page C09

Edwin L. Kurzius Administrative Law Judge

Edwin L. Kurzius, 90, an administrative law judge, died of pneumonia Oct. 1 at Montgomery General Hospital. He had been a resident of Silver Spring since 1942.

Mr. Kurzius was born in New York and earned a bachelor's degree from St. John's University in Queens, N.Y., a law degree in 1936 from St. John's and a master's degree in law in 1938 from Brooklyn Law School.

During World War II, he served in the Army Judge Advocate General Corps. He moved to Silver Spring during his military service and stayed there after the war. Mr. Kurzius began working in 1949 in the Treasury Department and then went to the General Services Administration until 1965.

He became an administrative law judge at the Atomic Energy Commission's Court of Contract Appeals through the early 1970s, when he returned to private practice until his 1979 retirement.

He was a member of the Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church in Bethesda.

His first wife, Veronica Z. Kurzius, died in 1989. A son from that marriage, Mark Kurzius, died in 1996.

Survivors include his wife of seven years, Grace M. Kurzius of Silver Spring; a stepdaughter, Diana O'Donovan of Rockville; a stepson, John Mueller of Rockville; and five grandchildren.

Lucrece Hudgins Beale Journalist, Tennis Instructor

Lucrece Hudgins Beale, 90, a former wire service reporter and tennis instructor, died Oct. 6 at her home in the District. She had lymphoma.

Mrs. Beale was born in Portsmouth, Va. After graduating from Wellesley College in 1937, she worked for four years as a reporter for the Boston Sunday Post. In 1941, she joined the Associated Press in Washington, where she was a staff reporter for a year and an Associated Press feature writer for 27 years.

Every year, she wrote a 17-chapter children's Christmas story that appeared in newspapers nationwide. In 2000, those stories were reissued in book form by Nostalgia Trims Publishers.

An enthusiastic outdoorswoman, Mrs. Beale was a tennis instructor at Sidwell Friends School for 27 years, until her retirement in 1981. At age 50, she took up skiing and wrote a nationally syndicated weekly column about her experiences as a novice skier at European and Western resorts.

She was a former member of the Women's National Press Club, the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club and the Sierra Club and a past president of the Potomac Valley Ski Club. She also was a member of the Chevy Chase Club, where over the years she won a number of tennis championships.

Mrs. Beale's husband, William L. Beale Jr., a former chief of the Associated Press Washington bureau, died in 2002.

Survivors include two children, David Taverner Beale of New Hope, Pa., and Dr. Mary Garven Beale of Columbia; a brother, Garven Hudgins of Potomac; and two granddaughters.

Henry Shenker Experimental Physicist

Henry Shenker, 87, an experimental physicist with the Navy Department, died Oct. 1 of heart disease at his home in Palo Alto, Calif. He lived in Fairfax County for many years before moving to California in 2000.

Dr. Shenker worked for the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in Washington from 1949 to 1977 as an experimental solid-state physicist. He helped design infrared detectors and also did work in lasers and optics.

He was born in New York and graduated from New York University. During World War II, he was a meteorologist with the Army in India and China, helping guide allied aircraft "over the hump" of the Himalaya Mountains during the China-Burma campaign.

In 1946, he received a master's degree in physics from Columbia University, followed by a doctorate in physics from the University of Maryland in 1954. He worked at the old National Bureau of Standards in the late 1940s before joining the Naval Research Laboratory.

Dr. Shenker lived near Mount Vernon from 1953 to 2000. He served on the boards of several mental health programs in Fairfax County.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Shirley Shenker of Palo Alto; two sons, Dr. Stephen Shenker and Dr. Scott Shenker, both of Palo Alto; a brother; a sister; and two grandsons.

Charles I. Stanton Jr. Aerospace Engineer, Pilot

Charles I. Stanton Jr., 83, an aerospace engineer, pilot and flight instructor, died Oct. 5 of pulmonary fibrosis at Virginia Hospital CenterArlington. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Stanton, who was born in Washington, grew up in Arlington and graduated from Washington-Lee High School in 1938. He was taught to fly in his teens by his father, a pilot and an official with the Federal Aviation Administration.

Mr. Stanton left Syracuse University, where he was a basketball player, to enter the Navy flight program in World War II. He was a Marine Corps pilot during the war, serving in the Pacific and as a flight instructor.

In 1946, he became a pilot-engineer with Thomas B. Bourne Associates, a Washington engineering company that was active in building airports in Alaska and Mexico, among other places. In 1951, he was recalled to duty as a pilot during the Korean War, flying transport planes. He left the Marines with the rank of major.

Mr. Stanton spent a year as a pilot for TACA de Honduras, an airline in Central America, before receiving a degree in civil engineering from Southern Methodist University in Dallas in 1956. He worked for aircraft companies in California before coming to NASA headquarters in Washington in 1963 as an aerospace engineer. At NASA, he worked on the Gemini, Apollo and space shuttle programs before retiring in 1986.

From 1989 to 1991, Mr. Stanton was on the faculty of the School of Aeronautics at the Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne. After returning to the Washington area in 1991, he worked as a private commercial pilot and gave flying lessons at Dulles International Airport until 1996.

He lived in Arlington for more than 30 years and was a member of several aviation societies, including the Order of Daedalians and Silver Wings.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Evelyn P. Stanton of Arlington; two children, Gina Lynn Stanton of Lafayette, La., and Charles I. Stanton III of Oakton; and a granddaughter.

Helen Honick Mayer Volunteer

Helen Honick Mayer, 89, who volunteered for PTAs and hospitals, died Oct. 3 of congestive heart failure at an assisted-living facility in Shrewsbury, N.J. She had previously lived in Arlington and Silver Spring.

Mrs. Mayer, a native of Baltimore, grew up in Newport News, Va. She moved to Washington in the mid-1930s to work as a secretary with the government.

After marrying in 1939, she lived in Arlington until 1984. She volunteered with the Arlington County Council of PTAs and with Arlington Hospital. After moving to Silver Spring in 1984, she volunteered with Montgomery General Hospital.

She moved to New Jersey in 2003.

Her husband of 35 years, Stanley Mayer, died in 1974.

Survivors include two daughters, Janet Wellman of Palm Desert, Calif., and Susan Wheeler of Little Silver, N.J.; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Phillip N. Bennett Jr. Airline Pilot

Phillip N. Bennett Jr., 86, a retired airline pilot, died Sept. 27 of heart disease at Goodwin House West in Falls Church, where he lived.

Mr. Bennett became a pilot when he served in the Army Air Forces in World War II. He flew numerous bombing missions over Europe as the pilot of a B-17 Flying Fortress. He received the Air Medal and left the military with the rank of captain.

He became a commercial pilot in 1945 with Capital Air Lines, which merged with United Airlines in 1961. He flew the Viscount turboprop, the Boeing 727 and the DC-8 before retiring from United in 1977.

Mr. Bennett was born in West Point, Neb., and moved as a teenager with his family to Leonardtown. He farmed with his father in Leonardtown before entering the military.

He lived in Alexandria for more than 45 years before moving to Falls Church in 1993. He was a member of the Masons and of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Alexandria.

His wife of 49 years, Terry E. Bennett, died in 1999.

Survivors include two children, Mark J. Bennett of Gaithersburg and Leslie Gallien of Rainier, Ore.; a sister; and two grandsons.

Lisa W. Smith MacInnes Volunteer, Bank Employee

Lisa W. Smith MacInnes, 46, a school volunteer and former employee of Cigna Corp. and Maryland National Bank, died of cancer Sept. 30 at the Casey House hospice in Rockville.

Mrs. MacInnes, a Bethesda resident for 17 years, served as a volunteer and as the soccer commissioner for St. Jane Frances de Chantal School. She also volunteered at the Connelly School of the Holy Child in Potomac.

Born in West Hartford, Conn., she graduated from Denison University in Granville, Ohio, in 1980. She worked in the institutional retirement plan business at Cigna and then at Maryland National Bank. She retired 11 years ago to become a full-time homemaker.

Survivors include her husband, Brett MacInnes, and two children, Hillary and Ian MacInnes, all of Bethesda; her parents, Richard and Jane Smith of West Hartford, Conn.; a sister; and a brother.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company