washingtonpost.com  > Sports > Colleges > Area Colleges > Georgetown

Lacrosse Referee Boyle Dies After Collapsing

By Christian Swezey
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, April 3, 2005; Page E14

Referee Scott Boyle died yesterday after collapsing during a men's lacrosse game between Georgetown and Navy at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis.

Boyle, 55, was treated on the field, then taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center's Emergency Room and was pronounced dead soon after arriving, according to Capt. Joseph Martin of the Annapolis Fire Marshall's office.

_____Georgetown Basics_____
Announcements, results
Area Colleges Page
_____Navy Basics_____
Navy Section
Announcements, results
Area Colleges Page

Boyle collapsed around 1:30 p.m., during a break between the first and second quarters. An ambulance was called five minutes later and arrived at 1:38, according to Martin.

At that point, trainers from both schools were attending to him, and Cmdr. Kevin Ronan, a Navy physician, administered CPR. The rapid response medical unit, which is present at all Navy athletic events, used a defibrillator.

Paramedics worked on Boyle for about 10 minutes before leaving for the emergency center at 1:54 p.m.

"The Naval Academy Athletic Association personnel were utilizing a . . . defibrillator and performing CPR on the patient," Martin said. He termed Boyle's condition as a "cardiac emergency."

When he collapsed, most of the coaches and players on both teams were in their huddles and had their backs turned to the three referees -- Boyle, Andy Motsko and Butch West.

Boyle was standing about 15 yards from one of the goals when he fell to his knees, then fell face-first to the ground while the other referees were doing a mandatory check for illegal sticks.

They noticed Boyle had collapsed after a few seconds and ran to him. At that point, trainers from Georgetown and Navy ran onto the field as well.

The game was suspended at the end of the first quarter with Georgetown leading 2-0. It will be resumed today at 1 p.m. at Rip Miller Field.

"It was pretty obvious that it was something serious," Georgetown Coach Dave Urick said. "My perspective was that we should put the decision [to suspend the game] in the officials' hands. This is a lacrosse game and we can finish a lacrosse game at any time."

Boyle was a lacrosse referee for about 30 years and was known to officiate a couple high school games, a college game and a club game in a typical week.

"I haven't stopped thinking about it," said Navy Athletic Director Chet Gladchuk, who attended the game. "I am sick over what happened. I feel very, very badly for his family, and I wish them all the strength to get through this."

© 2005 The Washington Post Company