Charleston, By Night and Day
On Sullivans Island, stop by Poe's Tavern (2210 Middle St.) for a gourmet burger and a beer. Poe's has a porch and an outdoor seating area that catches a bit of the sea breeze. Entrees $7 to $12.
Nearby Mount Pleasant has several good restaurants, most with decks. One good, hard-to-find option is the Wreck of the Richard & Charlene (106 Haddrell St., 843-884-0052) . With paper plates, a concrete floor and no sign, the Wreck serves excellent seafood, with entrees starting at $11. Call for directions.
NIGHTLIFE: To plan your night out, pick up the free Charleston BarFly, a guide to the city's nightlife. It's available around town at hotels and restaurants. Places within Charleston I visited include:
• Charlie's Little Bar (141 E. Bay St.), with a dark, intimate atmosphere. It's on the second floor of the Saracen Restaurant; enter through the small gate off the parking lot.
• Blind Tiger Pub (38 Broad St.), with a nice interior courtyard and laid-back vibe.
• Meritage (235 E. Bay St.), a wine bar with a vine-covered porch.
• City Bar (5 Faber St.), a sweaty dance club that's probably the most popular place in town to get your groove on.
• Trio Club (139 Calhoun St.), a club/bar in a storefront across from Marion Square that attracts a slightly older crowd with a variety of live dance music.
For something more laid back, check out the bar/restaurants along Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant. Red's Ice House (98 Church St.) has a huge two-level deck that's great in the evening.
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES: For kiteboarding, the hot spots are the north end of Sullivans Island and the south end of Isle of Palms. If you're a novice, get a lesson from Half-Moon Outfitters (843-881-9472, www.halfmoonoutfitters.com) or Air (843-388-9300), both in Mount Pleasant. Half-Moon charges $225 for a four-hour lesson and offers a $300 package that includes a trainer kite. Air charges $345 for a four- to five-hour lesson, or $295 if you've already used a trainer kite.
For other activities , surfing lessons and rentals are available through McKevlin's Surf Shop (843-588-2247, www.mckevlins.com). Coastal Expeditions (843-884-7684, www.coastalexpeditions.com) offers kayak rentals, tours and lessons.
INFORMATION: Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, 800- 774-0006, www.charlestoncvb.com.
-- Ben Brazil
© 2004 The Washington Post Company