washingtonpost.com  > Sports > Leagues and Sports > Soccer
News & Notes

Juventus, Liverpool Remember Tragedy

Wednesday, April 6, 2005; Page D02

Former Juventus stars Michel Platini and Ian Rush teamed with thousands of Liverpool soccer fans yesterday in an emotional ceremony to mark the 20th anniversary of the Heysel Stadium tragedy.

Before Liverpool beat Juventus, 2-1, in the first leg of the European Champions League quarterfinals, loud applause rang out around Anfield as the fans staged a brief ceremony as a mark of respect to the 39 fans who died nearly 20 years ago.

Juventus's Fabio Cannavaro, back, celebrates with Zlatan Ibrahimovic during a 2-1 loss at Liverpool during the first leg of a quarterfinal series. (Paul Ellis -- AP)

See ticket categories and prices for the 2006 World Cup. (PDF)
Match Schedule (PDF)

It was the first time the clubs met since the European Champions Cup final in Brussels on May 29, 1985, when rioting Liverpool fans caused a stampede that crushed many Italian spectators.

When the players and fans were asked to stand in silence in memory of Pope John Paul II, who died on Saturday, Italian custom clashed with English expectations.

The Liverpool fans on the famous Kop end held up cards with the word "amicizia" -- friendship -- directed at the Juve fans at the other end of the ground. The Juve fans broke out into spontaneous applause, right in the middle of the minute's silence, and were roundly booed by the Liverpool followers as soon as the minute ended.

It is not uncommon for some Italians to applaud during moments of silence, including at funerals.

Sami Hyypia gave Liverpool the lead with a volley from the left side in the 10th minute, and Luis Garcia added the second goal with a hard shot from well outside the penalty area in the 25th. Defender Fabio Cannavaro replied for Juventus, scoring his first Champions League goal with a powerful header in the 63rd.

The result is likely to leave both sets of fans happy -- Liverpool with its win and Juventus with an important away goal.

In yesterday's other quarterfinal match, PSV Eindhoven came back to tie host Lyon, 1-1.

COURTS: Former Arizona State running back Loren Wade was indicted for first-degree murder in the death of another former player. A grand jury in Maricopa County, Ariz., indicted the 21-year-old for the March 26 shooting death of Brandon Falkner, 25.

Witnesses told police they saw Wade approach Falkner's car and exchange words with him before a single gunshot rang out. Falkner, a defensive back, was a three-year letterman who played in 26 games for the Sun Devils from 1999 to 2001.

RUNNING: The Marine Corps Marathon began its new online registration process this morning, with race organizers expecting all available slots to be claimed within 24 hours.

Regardless, officials set aside 1,000 entries that will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis during a rally at Pentagon Row in Arlington from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today. The 30th annual marathon will be held Oct. 30 with a total registration of 30,000 runners. . . .

Two-time Olympic gold medalist Haile Gebrselassie and former Olympic and world champion Gezahegne Abera have pulled out of the April 17 London Marathon. Both have Achilles' tendon injuries.

SWIMMING: Michael Phelps will swim the same program at the world championships this summer as he did at the U.S. trials, where he won all five individual events he entered this past week. Including three relays, he plans to swim eight events at the meet, July 24-31 in Montreal.

OBITUARY: Edwin "Eddie" Moss, who played point guard for Syracuse from 1977 to 1981, has died after a long battle with cancer. He was 45. Moss died Saturday in Durham, N.C., school officials said.

-- From News Services

and Staff Reports

© 2005 The Washington Post Company