washingtonpost.com  > Nation > National Security

U.S. Stymies Detainee Access Despite Ruling, Lawyers Say

By Carol D. Leonnig
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, October 14, 2004; Page A11

More than three months after the Supreme Court declared that hundreds of detainees at the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have the right to challenge their imprisonment in U.S. courts, none has appeared in a courtroom.

Of the 68 alleged al Qaeda and Taliban fighters who have so far petitioned for access to federal court in Washington, only a handful have even spoken to their lawyers. With some held for nearly three years on the U.S. Navy base, the detainees remain largely precluded from receiving legal help because of protracted negotiations with the Justice Department over lawyers' security clearances, the government's insistence on monitoring attorney-client conversations and the number of visits lawyers will be allowed, defense attorneys told a U.S. District Court judge yesterday.

___ Guantanamo Bay ___
spacer
Gitmo Detainee Roster
The list contains 370 detainees whose identities have appeared in media reports, on Arabic Web sites and in legal documents.

List By Name | By Nationality
Graphic: Detainees by the Numbers
Graphic: A Guantanamo Timeline
spacer
___ Pentagon Documents ___
Conditions at Guantanamo Bay
Memos detail conditions at detention center and the concerns of Red Cross observers who visited the facility.
spacer
___ Reporters' Query ___
If you have thoughts, questions or information on prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay, please send them to: gitmo@washingtonpost.com

Search Story Archive by Keyword:
 
Advanced Search

Less than half the detainees with lawyers have been given the government's reason for holding them; the government has broken a court-ordered Sept. 30 deadline to justify most of those detentions, the lawyers said. For the 28 detainees who have been informed, the reason is typically that a recent military review -- conducted without an attorney or witnesses -- has concluded that they are enemy combatants with links to the Taliban or al Qaeda.

The Justice Department, when ordered this month by a federal judge to formally respond to detainees' basic complaint that they are being unfairly imprisoned, filed a 96-page pleading asking the judge to dismiss the case. The document contained some of the same arguments made by government lawyers in their losing case before the Supreme Court.

"The government says it's very complicated, they need security clearance issues worked out, et cetera, et cetera," said Don Rehkopf, a military law expert with the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the attorney who helped get espionage charges against a serviceman at Guantanamo Bay dismissed. "That's garbage. The government is coming up with more and more excuses, and changing the rules on a daily basis."

Justice Department attorney Terry Henry yesterday told a federal judge overseeing the cases that the government has worked to be "reasonable and fair.

"We think we're making extraordinary strides to have these folks have their day in court," Henry said.

The Supreme Court ruled June 28 that foreign nationals held at a U.S. military prison had some of the same rights as U.S. citizens imprisoned on other charges: to file a habeas petition and demand that the government justify the reason for detaining them.

In habeas cases, legal scholars and criminal defense lawyers said, a person who petitions the court for this information typically receives an answer within 30 days or is released.

Yet that fairly mundane legal step, conducted hundreds of times every day in courthouses around the country, has been transformed -- against the backdrop of a war on terrorism and a presidential campaign focused on the administration's handling of that war -- into a conflict that legal scholars call unprecedented.

"It's definitely ugly," said Douglas W. Kmiec, a professor of constitutional law at Pepperdine University Law School and a Justice Department official in the Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations. "But it seems like the time we live in. It is simultaneously outrageous if it's a time of peace and totally reasonable if it's a time of war."

Hearing the cases is a retired senior judge, U.S. District Judge Joyce Hens Green, who is long on expertise in national security cases but short on time, staff or a clear mandate on how to handle them.

Tom Wilner, an attorney who represents 12 Kuwaitis and who brought the case that led to the Supreme Court decision, complained to Green yesterday that the government has stonewalled, violated her orders and is now in contempt of the nation's highest court. In a letter to Green last month, the detainee lawyers said that efforts to represent their clients had hit a roadblock since she was appointed.

"Why is it after three years, they can't say why they are holding these people?" Wilner asked yesterday. "We've had people rotting in prison, so we don't need any more delay. . . . The Supreme Court has spoken. Nothing has happened yet."


CONTINUED    1 2    Next >

© 2004 The Washington Post Company