washingtonpost.com  > Metro > Maryland > Crime

New Arrests in Disappearance

Montgomery Woman Buried in Md. Farm Shed, Police Believe

By David Snyder and Amit R. Paley
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, August 26, 2004; Page B01

Police yesterday dug up a body believed to be that of a 71-year-old Montgomery County woman and charged two more people in her disappearance -- including a man who allegedly was paid $250 to haul the dead victim in a trash can from her home and bury her under a farm shed 38 miles away.

David G. Kaufman, 36, was charged with being an accessory after the fact in the slaying of Joyce Hadl, a private social worker who was reported missing Saturday from her home near Chevy Chase. Court documents allege that Kaufman drove Hadl's body in a pickup truck to the farm where he lived with his father in the Carroll County community of Westminster.

Police tape seals off Joyce Hadl's home near Chevy Chase. Police believe a body dug up yesterday in Westminster, Md., is that of Hadl. (Juana Arias -- The Washington Post)

_____Free E-mail Newsletters_____
• News Headlines
• News Alert

Roger M. Greenberg, 62, who lived in a rented room in Potomac, was charged with first-degree murder. Susan L. Sachs, 39, who lived in Hadl's home in the 2800 block of Washington Avenue, was charged Monday with first-degree murder.

Sachs "was a street person, or somebody who wasn't too stably settled, who Joyce had at times gotten to help her with work around the house," said Audrey Driver, a friend and colleague of the victim. But their relationship soured about a month ago, Driver said. Police allege that Sachs and Greenberg killed Hadl and that Kaufman got rid of the body.

"After the murder, [Sachs] called David Kaufman to help with the disposal of Joyce Hadl," police said in an affidavit. "Kaufman agreed and drove down to [Hadl's house]. Kaufman removed the body, which was wrapped in bed linens, inside a plastic bag, which was inside a garbage can."

The three suspects, all of whom are being held in the Montgomery County jail, have been friends for several years, according to a police affidavit filed in court.

The Maryland medical examiner had not officially identified the body last night, but police said they believe it is Hadl's. They did not say how she was killed. Although she was not reported missing until Saturday, neighbors, friends and relatives said yesterday that they had not seen Hadl since Aug. 16.

Witnesses told police that Sachs was seen leaving Hadl's house about 3:30 a.m. Saturday with garbage bags that appeared to be full, according to court documents. Greenberg helped Sachs load the bags into a blue Ford Crown Victoria, the documents state.

Police forced their way into Hadl's house later that day and found a stain about 18 inches in diameter near the head of Hadl's bed, the documents state.

Hadl, who was divorced, had several boarders at her house, according to police and people who knew her. They said Sachs had been living there rent-free for several months, in exchange for cleaning the house.

"This person, who had been a hard worker, had changed in her demeanor and her attitude," said Driver. She said Sachs "was accusatory, was clearly mentally disturbed to the point that Joyce became alarmed and wanted her out of the house."

When Sachs refused to leave, Hadl called police. On Aug. 16, police and two social workers came to question Sachs, but concluded that she could not legally be removed from the house, Driver said. "I told her to get a lock on her bedroom door because Susan was walking around the house" and calling Hadl insulting names.

Hadl was "disappointed" that the police could not make Sachs leave, Driver said, but vowed not to change her daily routine. "She didn't fear for her life," Driver said.

Born in Boston to Jewish immigrant parents, Hadl graduated from Tufts University and received a master's degree in social work from Columbia University, according to a sister, Ina B. Samuel.

CONTINUED    1 2    Next >

© 2004 The Washington Post Company