Adam Andrew Koscielniak Army Colonel, Tennis Player
Adam Andrew Koscielniak, 97, a retired Army lieutenant colonel and a former resident of Arlington who was co-developer of the Fairfax Racquet Club in the early 1970's, died Feb. 15 at his home in Georgetown, S.C. He had a type of refractory anemia.
Col. Koscielniak was born in Krakow, Poland. At 8 years old, he immigrated to the United States under great peril during World War I. He settled with his family in Utica, N.Y., He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1930.
| Search Paid Death Notices |
| Share memories about friends and loved ones in the Guest books. |
The help page has more information.
During World War II, he served in the Army's Coast Artillery Corps, and his postings included the Philippines, Hawaii and the Army War College at Fort McNair. He retired from military service in 1950 and resided in Arlington until the late 1980s.
Col. Koscielniak received an MBA from American University in 1955. He taught math at the Flint Hill Preparatory School in Fairfax in the early 1960s. He was a tennis pro at the Country Club of Fairfax, among others, and a hotelier in Myrtle Beach, S.C. He was an avid tennis player until his late eighties.
His wife of 63 years, Marguerite Koscielniak, died in 1999.
Survivors include a daughter, Carol Ann Dear of Georgetown, formerly of Gloucester, Va.; a sister, Cecelia Jacksina of Charlottesville; two grandsons; and six great grandchildren.
Seymour Wolf Veterinarian
Seymour Wolf, 87, a Washington area veterinarian for 50 years who cared for three generations of families and their pets, died March 8 of complications of renal failure at Manor Care Potomac. He lived in Chevy Chase and Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
Dr. Wolf, a New York native, graduated from Auburn University and from its College of Veterinary Medicine in 1939. After college, he came to Washington and became an associate of Dr. David E. Buckingham at his Hospital for Animals at 14th and U streets NW.
In 1940, Dr. Wolf was named veterinarian for the District of Columbia. Among the pets he treated was President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Scottish terrier, Fala, once known as the world's most famous dog.
In 1943, he joined the Coast Guard and served as a lieutenant commander in charge of the beach patrol, which included horses, dogs and men from Key West, Fla., to Beaufort, S.C. During his command, he and his unit found pontoon boats that had been buried by Nazi saboteurs who had landed in Ponte Vedra, Fla. Dr. Wolf, who had heard about a German enclave in Jacksonville, suggested that federal investigators check out the area. He was instrumental in the capture of several saboteurs.
After his discharge in 1945, the week after V-E Day, Dr. Wolf opened Suburban Animal Hospital in Arlington. He helped to start free rabies vaccination clinics for the Animal Welfare League. He retired in 1987.
A former resident of Potomac, Dr. Wolf moved in 2001 to Chevy Chase and to Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
He was on the advisory boards of Guarantee Bank and Trust of Virginia and Riggs Bank of Virginia.
He was an avid collector of fine wines, president of the International Wine and Food Society, and an officer of La Chaine des Rotisseurs.