washingtonpost.com  > Politics > Political News > Post Series > 10 Days in September
Page 3 of 5  < Back     Next >

America's Chaotic Road to War

At 9:30 a.m. the president appeared before television cameras, describing what had happened as "an apparent terrorist attack" and "a national tragedy." He appeared shaken, and his language was oddly informal. He would chase down, he said, "those folks who committed this act."

Bush also said, "Terrorism against our nation will not stand." It was an echo of "This will not stand," the words his father, President George H.W. Bush, had used a few days after Iraq invaded Kuwait in August 1990-in Bush's opinion, one of his father's finest moments.

Ten Days in September:
A Multimedia Presentation

At 9:30 a.m., President Bush spoke publicly about the unfolding events. "Terrorism against our nation will not stand," he said. (AP Photo)

Find Post Stories by Day:
Search Full Archive by Keyword:
Advanced Search
America at War Story Archive

___ Post Series ___
Ten Days in September

Part 1: America's Chaotic Road to War (The Washington Post, Jan 27, 2002)
Part 2: 'We Will Rally the World' (The Washington Post, Jan 28, 2002)
Part 3: Afghan Campaign's Blueprint Emerges (The Washington Post, Jan 29, 2002)
Part 4: A Pivotal Day of Grief and Anger (The Washington Post, Jan 30, 2002)
Part 5: At Camp David, Advise and Dissent (The Washington Post, Jan 31, 2002)
Part 6: Combating Terrorism: 'It Starts Today' (The Washington Post, Feb 1, 2002)
Part 7: A Presidency Defined in One Speech (The Washington Post, Feb 2, 2002)
Part 8: Bush Awaits History's Judgment (The Washington Post, Feb 3, 2002)

Post Exclusive:
Excerpts from a Washington Post interview with President George W. Bush on the aftermath of Sept. 11.
Read the Transcript

Post reporter Bob Woodward answered readers' questions and discussed the "10 Days in September" series.
Read the Transcript

_____ From Sept. 11 _____

Photo Galleries:
The Day in Photos

Video Features:
Flash: Fall of the Twin Towers
Tower 1: Attack | Collapse
Tower 2: Attack | Collapse
Attack on the Pentagon
President Bush's Address
Full List of Audio/Video

Live Online Discussions:
Robert Kaiser, Post Associate Editor
Jim Walsh, terrorism expert
Steve Mufson, Post Staff Writer
John Steinbruner, international security expert
Full List of Discussions

News Graphics:
Attack on the Pentagon
Animated Flight Paths of Hijacked Planes
Full archive of graphics, maps and images searchable by topic.

President Bush speaks for the first time after the attack
President Bush's second remarks
President Bush addresses the nation from the Oval Office
Attorney General John Ashcroft
Full List of Transcripts

Special Report:
America at War: Full coverage of the Sept. 11 attacks and retaliation, and the ongoing war on terrorism.

___ About This Series ___

This series is based on interviews with President Bush, Vice President Cheney and many other key officials inside the administration and out. The interviews were supplemented by notes of National Security Council meetings made available to The Washington Post, along with notes taken by several participants.

This account is inevitably incomplete. The president, the White House staff and senior Cabinet officers responded in detail to questions. Some matters they refused to discuss, citing national security and a desire to protect the confidentiality of internal deliberations.

___ Correction ___

In some editions, a Jan. 27 article on the events of Sept. 11 incorrectly described the flight path of the American Airlines jet that terrorists crashed into the Pentagon. Flight 77 at one point appeared headed toward the White House, but it changed course before it reached the Potomac River.

"Why I came up with those specific words, maybe it was an echo from the past," Bush said in an interview last month. "I don't know why. . . . I'll tell you this, we didn't sit around massaging the words. I got up there and just spoke."

9:32 a.m.

The Vice President in Washington: Underground, in Touch With Bush

Secret Service agents burst into Cheney's West Wing office. "Sir," one said, "we have to leave immediately." Radar showed an airplane barreling toward the White House.

Before Cheney could respond, the agents grabbed the vice president under his arms-nearly lifting him off the ground-and propelled him down the steps into the White House basement and through a long tunnel that led to the underground bunker.

Meanwhile, American Airlines Flight 77, a Boeing 757 that had taken off from Dulles International Airport, turned away from the White House and flew back across the Potomac River, slamming into the Pentagon at 9:39 a.m.

In the tunnel below the White House, Cheney stopped to watch a television showing the smoke billowing out of the World Trade Center towers, heard the report about the plane hitting the Pentagon and called Bush again. Other Secret Service agents hustled Rice and several other senior White House officials included in an emergency contingency plan into the bunker with the vice president.

Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta, summoned by the White House to the bunker, was on an open line to the Federal Aviation Administration operations center, monitoring Flight 77 as it hurtled toward Washington, with radar tracks coming every seven seconds. Reports came that the plane was 50 miles out, 30 miles out, 10 miles out-until word reached the bunker that there had been an explosion at the Pentagon.

Mineta shouted into the phone to Monte Belger at the FAA: "Monte, bring all the planes down." It was an unprecedented order-there were 4,546 airplanes in the air at the time. Belger, the FAA's acting deputy administrator, amended Mineta's directive to take into account the authority vested in airline pilots. "We're bringing them down per pilot discretion," Belger told the secretary.

"[Expletive] pilot discretion," Mineta yelled back. "Get those goddamn planes down."

Sitting at the other end of the table, Cheney snapped his head up, looked squarely at Mineta and nodded in agreement.

Over the Atlantic, Shelton ordered his plane to return to Washington. But he couldn't get approval from air traffic controllers, who were diverting all planes, even the one used by the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He was ready to defy the controllers, figuring it was easier to ask later for forgiveness, when his deputy called to say he had obtained the necessary clearance.

In his Pentagon office, Rumsfeld felt the huge building shudder. He looked out his window, then rushed out toward the smoke, running down the steps and outside where he could see pieces of metal strewn on the ground. Rumsfeld began helping with the rescue efforts until a security agent urged him to get out of the area. "I'm going inside," he said, and took up his post in the National Military Command Center, the Pentagon war room.

Pentagon officials ordered up the airborne command post used only in national emergencies. They sent up combat air patrols in the Washington area and a fighter escort for Air Force One. They also ordered AWACs radar and surveillance planes airborne along the East Coast and, fearing another round of attacks, along the West Coast as well.

Commanders worldwide were ordered to raise their threat alert status four notches to "Delta," the highest level, to defend U.S. facilities. Rumsfeld raised the defense condition-signaling U.S. offensive readiness-to DefCon 3, the highest it had been since the Arab-Israeli war in 1973. U.S. officials also sent a message to the Russians, who were planning a military exercise not far from Alaska, urging them to rethink their plans.

< Back  1 2 3 4 5    Next >

© 2002 The Washington Post Company