washingtonpost.com  > Metro > Maryland > Howard
Animal Watch

Howard Animal Watch

Thursday, April 21, 2005;

The following were among animal cases handled recently by the Howard County Division of Animal Control. The Howard County Animal Shelter is open for pet adoptions from 1:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. other weekdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, except holidays. For more information, call 410-313-2780.

Suspected Fight-Dog Owner Sought

COLUMBIA, Stevens Forest Rd., 5800 block, 12:30 p.m. April 6. Someone saw a pit bull left in a vehicle by a man who said not to approach the dog because he uses it in dogfights. Howard County law prohibits encouraging animals to fight, raising them for fighting or participating in animal fights. The person took the license number of the vehicle, a black Saturn, and called Animal Control, which searched the area over the next few days without success. The case continued.

Dog's Fatal Illness Prompts Probe

WEST FRIENDSHIP, Pfefferkorn Rd., 3200 block, noon April 4. A puppy purchased from an alleged puppy mill was sick and had to be euthanized. An animal control officer went to the business that sold the puppy to observe and evaluate the conditions of the other animals. An officer found about 50 puppies and some overcrowding but did not detect any violations. Corrections of overcrowding were made by the owner of the facility.

Pit Bull Mauls Cow

WOODBINE, St. Michaels Rd., 1700 block, 5:45 p.m. April 8. A pit bull attacked a cow, severely injuring the cow's muzzle. The owner restrained the dog during the attack. The cow was treated by a veterinarian and was recovering. The dog's owner turned the pit bull over to Animal Control, and it was euthanized.

Dachshund Recovering From Attack

ELLICOTT CITY, Shirley Meadow Ct., 10200 block, 4:15 p.m. April 11. A German shepherd reportedly attacked a dachshund April 5 causing severe injuries. The incident was reported to Animal Control after the shepherd's owner was located April 9. The dachshund's wounds were treated, and it was recovering. The case was continuing.

-- Compiled by LINDA JAMES

© 2005 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive