washingtonpost.com  > Metro > The District

One Week Back on Job, Cabdriver Slain in D.C.

Father of 6 Hoped To Boost Income

By Nicole Fuller and Del Quentin Wilber
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, November 13, 2004; Page B02

Andrew B. Kamara drove a taxicab for nearly a decade but gave up his job three months ago to concentrate on fixing and reselling cars, his passion.

But the 50-year-old father of six returned to his old trade last week to earn extra cash so he could visit his mother and other relatives in Sierra Leone. Early yesterday, D.C. police found Kamara fatally shot in the front seat of his taxi in Northwest Washington.

Aminata Conteh, sister of slain cabdriver Andrew Kamara, is comforted by family and friends at her brother's home. (Dudley M. Brooks -- The Washington Post)

_____D.C. Government_____
WASA to Replace 2,800 Lead Pipes Over Next Year (The Washington Post, Nov 13, 2004)
Hinckley Therapist Says Relationship Is No Problem (The Washington Post, Nov 13, 2004)
Robbery Suspect's Death Ruled A Homicide (The Washington Post, Nov 11, 2004)
FBI Probes Theft at Democratic Fund (The Washington Post, Nov 11, 2004)
More Stories
_____D.C. Crime_____
Hinckley Therapist Says Relationship Is No Problem (The Washington Post, Nov 13, 2004)
Robbery Suspect's Death Ruled A Homicide (The Washington Post, Nov 11, 2004)
Legal Woes Cut Into Bottom Line at Riggs (The Washington Post, Nov 10, 2004)
More Stories

Police believe that Kamara was the victim of a robbery. His death might also be connected to four others taxi robberies in upper Northwest in the last few weeks, police said.

Kamara's relatives said they are struggling to understand why someone would take the life of the taxi driver, whom they described as "the rock" of his family.

"We're going through a hard time," said Fatima Bangura, 50, one of Kamara's cousins. "This is someone who carried the family. One phone call, and he'd be there for you."

Police said they learned of the killing about 1:30 a.m. when officers were called to investigate an accident in the 6800 block of Ninth Street NW. Kamara's cab had crashed into several parked cars, and he was slumped over the steering wheel. He had been shot once in the head, police said.

Kamara, of Lanham, was taken to Washington Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead.

A witness told police that he spotted a man running from the cab and gave officers a description of the person, said Cmdr. Hilton Burton of the 4th District.

A few minutes later, police questioned the manager of the Motel 6 in the 6700 block of Georgia Avenue NW, about two blocks away. The manager told police that he had just seen a man who matched the description from the witness dashing into a first-floor room, Burton said.

As police approached the room, the man jumped out a back window. He was seen throwing away a handgun, which officers recovered, police said.

The man, identified by police as Eric Gardner, 22, of the 900 block of Shepherd Street NW, was charged with illegal possession of a pistol. He was being processed yesterday at the D.C. jail, police said.

Investigators said they were awaiting results of ballistic tests on the handgun.

Meanwhile, family members of Kamara gathered to grieve at his house, on a quiet residential street in Lanham.

They said Kamara emigrated from Sierra Leone 17 years ago to find a better life in the United States. He has two grown children in Sierra Leone from a previous marriage. He has four children, ages 7 to15, from his second marriage.

CONTINUED    1 2    Next >

© 2004 The Washington Post Company