washingtonpost.com  > Print Edition > Sports

Taylor Arrested On DWI Charge

Redskins Rookie Won't Play Sunday

By Nunyo Demasio and Carol Morello
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, October 29, 2004; Page D01

Washington Redskins rookie safety Sean Taylor was arrested by the Virginia State Police early yesterday morning and charged with driving while intoxicated and declined to take an alcohol blood or breath test, according to Virginia law enforcement officials. Taylor, the Redskins' first-round pick (fifth overall) from the University of Miami, was released on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond and faces a Dec. 1 hearing in Fairfax County.

Taylor, 21, missed yesterday's practice at Redskins Park, an absence the club considered unexcused after initially being unable to contact him. Later in the afternoon, the 6-foot-2, 230-pound Taylor arrived at the training facility for a meeting with team officials, including Coach Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams, the assistant head coach of defense.

Coach Joe Gibbs talks to reporters about Sean Taylor on Thursday. Taylor will be inactive for Sunday's game. (Larry Morris - The Washington Post)

_____NFL Basics_____
Team index
NFL Section
_____Packers Basics_____
Packers page
Player stats
Opponent comparison

Last night, the team announced that Taylor will be inactive for Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers, who own the No. 2-ranked offense in the 32-team league behind star quarterback Brett Favre and Pro Bowl tailback Ahman Green.

"You don't ever want [this]. On this football team, we've got some of the neatest people I've ever been around," Gibbs said in brief remarks about Taylor after practice. Gibbs added that the team has "great character guys and people that care a lot about the football team. I hurt for the team, and you don't like to see somebody in trouble, either. You hurt for the person. So we'll just try and deal with all of it as best we can."

Taylor, whose father is chief of police in Florida City, Fla., did not return a telephone message seeking comment. The player faces two Class 1 misdemeanors: driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI) -- the charges are synonymous in Virginia; plus refusal to submit to a sobriety test to gauge his intoxication level. Taylor also faces a penalty of $2,500 and one year in jail.

Complicating matters for Taylor is the fact that Virginia has some of the nation's toughest drunken driving laws. Convictions for refusing blood or breath tests mean the one-year suspension of a driver's license.

If Taylor is convicted or admits to the charges, he also faces a fine, suspension or other discipline by the NFL at the discretion of Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. NFL fines against alcohol-related convictions amount to one-half of a regular season game, up to $20,000, for a first offense. Taylor had never committed an alcohol-related offense, according to Fairfax County prosecutor Robert Horan.

NFL teams are allowed to fine or suspend players for violating team rules. Gibbs has only one rule, which he disclosed in his first address to the club: Don't embarrass the organization or yourself.

According to the court documents, Taylor was stopped at 2:40 a.m. when a Virginia state trooper spotted his 2004 BMW sedan speeding along the outer loop of I-495 just south of Georgetown Pike. Taylor lives in Ashburn, roughly 20 minutes from where he was stopped.

Lt. Harry Newlin of the State Police said Taylor was stopped for speeding and suspicion of drunk driving. Taylor was given field-sobriety tests, which he failed, then refused to take a breath test, Newlin said. Taylor was arrested and taken to the Fairfax County detention center, where he was booked. Second Lt. Tony Shobe, of the Fairfax County Sheriff's office, said Taylor was brought in about 6 a.m. and released at 10 a.m.

Details of Taylor's whereabouts before his arrest couldn't be confirmed. Some players said they were told Taylor had been at a birthday party thrown by wide receiver Rod Gardner at a D.C. club. When Gardner, who turned 27 Tuesday, was asked about the party yesterday, he refused to take any questions "not related to football."

Phillip Daniels, a nine-year veteran and one of the team's leaders, said, "Being out Wednesday night, after 2 [a.m.], there's nothing good going on out there. It's time to be home. We have a big game this week, there's no reason to be out late on a Wednesday night.

"It would be sad for me to know that we had guys out there at a party that knew that he had too much to drink and didn't make sure he was safe to get back. But we're a family. We're going to hang in there with him, get him back on the field and win games."

One offensive player said that three weeks ago the team conducted a players-only meeting called by a few veterans when the Redskins were in the midst of a four-game losing streak. According to two players present, one issue that came up was the need to avoid the lure of Washington's nightlife during the season.

CONTINUED    1 2    Next >

© 2004 The Washington Post Company