c) In the early days of the Republic, it was considered dangerous to public health to have
large meetings in Washington during the
d) Chief Justice John Marshall preferred that time,
and subsequent chief justices followed suit.
20. Which of the following justices are expected to retire at the end of
c) a and b
d) Who knows?
1. A woman, Pamela Talkin, will bang the gavel and cry out "Oyez, oyez,
oyez," calling the court to order. Talkin was recently chosen by the
justices as the first woman to serve as marshal of the court.
2. Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and Associate Justice John Paul
3. False. Only Rehnquist and Stevens cite regular military service in their
official biographies; they were on active duty during World War II. While
her husband John was posted overseas as a member of the U.S. Army Judge
Advocate Corps during the 1950s, O¹Connor worked as a civilian lawyer for
the Army. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy served in the California National Guard
4. Stevens, O¹Connor, Kennedy and Antonin Scalia.
5. Byron R. White, who retired in 1993.