7. They are alumni of Stanford University. Rehnquist and O¹Connor received
their bachelor¹s and law degrees there, Kennedy and Breyer received their
bachelor¹s degrees and Martin starred on the Stanford golf team.
8. False. Each of Rehnquist¹s two immediate predecessors served longer.
Warren E. Burger served 16 years and nine months, while Earl Warren retired
after 15 years and nine months.
9. False. The case was decided by a 7-2 vote, with then-Associate Justice
Rehnquist and White dissenting from the majority opinion written by Justice
Harry A. Blackmun.
10. Blackmun and Burger. The two were old friends from Minnesota and were
elevated to the Supreme Court by President Richard Nixon, leading some to
presume they would share a conservative ideology. But Blackmun gradually
became more liberal on the bench.
11. O¹Connor, who was a state senator in her home state of Arizona.
12. Three. Rehnquist clerked for Justice Robert H. Jackson during the 1951
and 1952 terms, Stevens clerked for Justice Wiley B. Rutledge during the
1947 term and Breyer clerked for Justice Arthur J. Goldberg during the 1964
13. (d) Hamilton, writing in The Federalist No. 78 under the pseudonym
14. The 1971 Pentagon Papers case, in which the court agreed, by a vote of
6-3, to permit newspapers including the New York Times and The Washington
Post to publish a leaked secret government history of the Vietnam War. The
court decided to hear the case on June 25 and published its decision on June
17. False. Actually, the court cost less to build than the $9.7 million
Congress authorized for the job. When work was completed, the Treasury
received a refund of $94,000.