washingtonpost.com  > Sports > Leagues and Sports > MLB > D.C. Baseball

Ruling Clears Way For Expos' Relocation

By Barry Svrluga and Thomas Heath
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, November 16, 2004; Page D01

A three-judge panel yesterday cleared a legal path for the Expos to move to Washington by ruling against an attempt by the team's former owners to keep the franchise in Montreal.

The New York-based arbitration board rejected a claim by several Canadian investors, who charged that their former partner in the Expos, Jeffrey Loria, masterminded a conspiracy to devalue the club and remove it from Montreal.


_____MLB Basics_____
Scoreboard
Standings
Statistics
Team index
Music Downloads
MLB Section
_____Marlins Basics_____
Marlins page
Roster
Schedule
Statistics
_____Expos Basics_____
Expos page
Roster
Schedule
Statistics
_____Red Sox Basics_____
Red Sox page
Roster
Schedule
Statistics

The ruling allows MLB's owners to formally vote on the relocation at a meeting Thursday in Chicago. The move is expected to be approved overwhelmingly.

The arbitration ruling likely means that a federal suit filed by Loria's former limited partners -- a suit that sought to stop the move -- will be terminated.

"We are obviously unhappy with the decision," said Jeffrey Kessler, a lawyer for the limited partners.

"We think it's wrong and we think it's a sad day for Expos baseball. It's obviously good news for baseball fans in Washington, D.C. I don't believe that we are going to have a basis to continue this fight. I have to consult with my clients, but this appears to be the end of the road."

Fourteen limited partners -- mostly Canadian companies -- sued, charging that Loria actively tried to devalue the franchise so that it would no longer be viable in Montreal. The arbitration panel, based in New York, concluded that Loria did not commit fraud.

MLB purchased the team from Loria for $120 million in a complicated three-way transaction in which Loria bought the Florida Marlins for $158 million and John Henry, the Marlins' former owner, purchased the Boston Red Sox. The Expos are now up for sale, though the bidding process, which began last month, remains in its early stages.

"Technically, this could have been a hurdle," Expos President Tony Tavares said. "In its worst-case scenario, it could have prevented the move. But I don't think anybody believed that was going to happen. For us, we just keep moving forward."

The ruling is one more step toward the team being able to concentrate on baseball -- something General Manager Jim Bowden and his staff have been doing since the general managers' meetings last week outside Miami.

According to an industry source, Bowden has targeted a pair of Minnesota Twins free agents -- third baseman Corey Koskie and shortstop Christian Guzman -- to potentially fill what he has identified as two of the team's most urgent needs. Bowden also has his eye on power-hitting third baseman Vinny Castilla of the Colorado Rockies in the early stages of the free agent signing period, a source said.

Bowden also has pulled an earlier offer the club made to its third baseman from last season, Tony Batista, who is also a free agent, a source said. Batista, who made $1.5 million in a one-year contract last season, had balked on a two-year offer worth slightly more than $3 million, the source said, so Bowden has turned his attention elsewhere -- for now.

Bowden, traveling from his home in California to the Expos' training facility in Viera, Fla., did not return a call seeking comment yesterday.

Koskie, 31, made $4.5 million in the final year of a four-year contract last season, and also is being pursued by the Toronto Blue Jays as well as the Twins, with whom he has spent his entire six-year major league career. Koskie hit .251 -- the lowest average of his career -- in 2004, with 25 home runs and 71 RBI.


CONTINUED    1 2    Next >

© 2004 The Washington Post Company