washingtonpost.com  > World > Europe > Eastern Europe > Russia
Page 2 of 2  < Back  

'All of a Sudden, the Big Bomb Blew Up'

Several men were killed in the first onslaught Wednesday morning, among them security guards, neighbors and fathers who happened to be at the school for the opening. Their bodies were left where they fell, baking in the late summer heat, while the guerrillas turned the school into a fortress. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Russian troops encircled the building.

Inside, the students and their mothers were herded into the gym, and all the men were taken elsewhere. Some of the children spoke about rumors that they heard that the men had been killed -- shot at point-blank range, according to some versions, or blown up by female suicide bombers, according to others.

A rescuer carries an injured boy away from the school. More than a thousand people had been held in the school gym for three days. Man of those who did not make it out of the gym when commandos stormed the building died. (Eduard Kornienko -- Reuters)

_____More From The Post_____
Russia School Siege Ends in Carnage (The Washington Post, Sep 4, 2004)
Putin's Silence on Crisis Underscores Chilling Trend (The Washington Post, Sep 4, 2004)
_____Hostage Standoff Ends_____
Photo Gallery: The hostage standoff at a school near Chechnya turned tragic with hundreds of children and adults killed or injured during fighting.
AP Video Report: Russian special forces stormed the school today amid gunfire between soldiers and hostage takers.
_____On the Scene_____
Audio: The Washington Post's Peter Baker reports from Beslan, Russia.
Audio: The Post's Susan Glasser reports from Moscow.
Discussion Transcript: Glasser answered reader's questions.

The guerrillas began wiring the gym for a showdown. They placed a box of explosives at the center of the room, connected to a pedal that one of the militants held down with a foot. If he lifted his foot, the children were told, the bomb would go off. After that, according to the surviving children, the guerrillas set another 16 to 18 smaller, cylindrical bombs around the room, some on windowsills, one in a basketball net.

The children said the guerrillas terrorized them but did not hurt them physically. When some of the children cried too loudly, the guerrillas fired their weapons into the air or out a window to silence them. "They intimidated us," Sosik said. "They pointed their guns at us. But they didn't beat us."

But survivors said the guerrillas were harsh with some adult hostages. Chermen Bugulov, 8, said one man was killed the first day of the siege. "One guy was screaming, and they shot him in the stomach," Chermen said. "His insides fell out. Then they pulled him away and got covered in his blood."

Conditions in the gym grew increasingly grim. On the first day, the children were allowed to drink tap water and some were given chocolate bars from the school supply.

But the guerrillas refused government offers to bring in food, and the candy bars were gone by the second day. On the third day, water was also running short. The children were allowed a sip at a time when they went to the bathroom, and some resorted to drinking urine.

"This morning we didn't get anything to eat," Arkady said. "We got piss instead of water."

Most of the children had stripped off as much clothing as they could, often down to underwear for the boys, as they tried to survive the stultifying heat. Outside, the temperature reached a high of 86 degrees, but the conditions inside grew ever hotter and stuffier.

Arkady was so drained by the heat that he was falling asleep Friday afternoon when the commando raid began. "I lay down ready to sleep a bit," he said, "and then all of a sudden the big bomb blew up."

The children described the main explosion in conflicting ways. Aslan said the guerrilla with his foot on the pedal attempted to flee the shooting. "He let go of the pedal and tried to run away, but it blew up and killed him," the boy said.

Chermen, however, said the bomb was set off by the commandos' gunfire. "Our guys accidentally hit the bomb, and it exploded," he said, still having trouble hearing after the blast. "The other bombs detonated at the same time. In some places the ceiling collapsed. It fell down on people."

Those nearest the windows and walls had the best chance of surviving. "Me and my mom were blown up against the wall, and something heavy fell on my head," Aslan said.

Arkady ran to a window. "The bomb blew up, and they blew out the windows, and everyone started jumping out," he said. "I wanted to run with my grandmother, but the old people couldn't run as fast as we could." In the space of a few minutes, his youth seemed to have ended. "I saw two dead people. One was shot in the chin."

Sosik could see that neither of those people was his mother. He saw that she had been shot, but he jumped out the window, not knowing what would happen to her.

His mother, it turned out, was taken to the hospital. But Sosik's brother, Atik, did not follow him out the window. As of late Friday afternoon, Atik had not been found.

< Back  1 2

© 2004 The Washington Post Company