Asia, my sweet-tempered golden retriever mix, had a rough start in life. She was abandoned when she was just a year old and spent the next two years living outdoors. By the time she was rescued, she had picked up a potentially fatal souvenir of her ordeal: heartworm. The problem was thankfully caught and treated in time, and Asia was declared heartworm-free this month. Ideally, however, she would never have had it in the first place -- the disease can be avoided with a few basic precautions.
1 Be aware of the risk
| The Post's new section offers entertainment listings, advice, local travel guides, home, food and shopping news and other practical information.|
• More in Sunday Source
Goldfish Bowl Do's and Don'ts (The Washington Post, Aug 8, 2004)
Keep Your Indoor Cat Safe (The Washington Post, Aug 1, 2004)
Portrait Perfect (The Washington Post, Jul 25, 2004)
Vaccine 101 (The Washington Post, Jul 18, 2004)
The 5 Best Movies . . . Ever (The Washington Post, Jul 11, 2004)
Heartworm is exactly what it sounds like -- worms, which can grow to 14 inches long, take up residence in an animal's heart and pulmonary arteries, damaging the heart and lungs and restricting blood flow. The disease is transmitted by mosquitoes, which deposit heartworm larvae under the skin as they bite. Though heartworm is most prevalent in the southeastern states, animals in the D.C. area are also in danger, warns veterinary cardiologist Jennifer Sidley of Chesapeake Veterinary Cardiology Associates in Vienna.
2 Focus on prevention
Heartworm is far easier to avoid than it is to cure. Fortunately, the cost of preventive medicine isn't prohibitive, running from $35 to $150 a year, depending on the size of the pet and the brand of medication. "All dogs should be on heartworm preventative," Sidley says. Ask your vet about different meds, which include a chewable that protects against several parasites and a topical medicine that also kills fleas, ticks and ear mites. Whichever one you choose, it's vital to administer it on time. And regular testing is still a must: John W. McCall, vice president of the American Heartworm Society, recommends annual screening.
Though heartworm most often affects dogs, ferrets and cats can also contract the disease. Diagnosis is more difficult and treatment much riskier for these animals than it is for pups, making preventive medicine all the more important. Even one dead heartworm in a cat's tiny lung "can block all blood going to a fraction of the lung," Sidley says, putting the animal in grave danger.
4 Watch for symptoms
Dogs may exhibit chronic coughing, shortness of breath, lethargy and a low tolerance for exercise; coughing, breathing problems and unexplained vomiting are possible signs in cats. In the early stages of infection, however, visible symptoms are unlikely. More advanced cases may involve fainting, spitting up blood or swelling of the abdomen, indicating congestive heart failure. Blood tests and X-rays are usually sufficient to diagnose heartworm in dogs, though occasionally ultrasound or an EKG may be required to determine the severity of the infection.
The American Heartworm Society recommends treating infected dogs with a three-injection series of Immiticide, a course that can cost $400 to $1,000. After the
first dose, the dog must be kept very calm for at least a month -- too much activity can push the dead heartworms toward the lungs before they've broken down,
causing potentially fatal blockages. The next two injections are
administered 24 hours apart,
requiring an overnight hospital stay and an additional four to six weeks of restricted activity. Six months after the completion of treatment, a heartworm test will tell whether it was successful. For more information, visit the American Heartworm Society's Web
site at www.heartwormsociety.org. Emily Messner