HOT Lanes on Va. Beltway to Be Assessed
The National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board voted yesterday to evaluate proposed high-occupancy toll, or HOT, lanes on the Capital Beltway to see how they would affect the region's air quality, a necessary step for the project.
Virginia officials are considering a private proposal to build four toll lanes on the Beltway between the Springfield interchange and Georgetown Pike. They would be the first new lanes on the Virginia side of the highway since the 1970s. The lanes would be free for vehicles with at least two people; vehicles with one occupant could use them for a fee.
The vote marked the first time the board had considered HOT lanes. The panel will vote in the fall on whether to include the HOT lane project in the region's long-range plan, the board's final step.
Ex-Aide to Mondale to Lead UDC Board
James W. Dyke Jr., a lawyer and former Virginia secretary of education, was elected chairman of the University of the District of Columbia's Board of Trustees. He will lead the board beginning with its June meeting, replacing Charles J. Ogletree Jr.
Dyke, a member of the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia, was domestic policy adviser to former vice president Walter F. Mondale (D) and White House liaison to the District during the Carter administration.
Funds Available to Developers, Nonprofits
The District is inviting developers and nonprofit groups to apply for $35 million in funding to subsidize projects that involve housing for the poor, disabled and elderly, and community facilities serving low- to moderate-income households.
A request for proposals was released last week and is available from the D.C. Department of Housing and Community Development, 801 North Capitol St. NE. The deadline for submissions is June 3.
More information on funding opportunities and the application process will be available at a pre-proposal conference at 9:30 a.m. today at the D.C. Housing Finance Agency, 815 Florida Ave. NW.
'Fatal Vision' Doctor's Parole Hearing Set
Former Army doctor Jeffrey R. MacDonald, convicted 26 years ago of the stabbing deaths of his pregnant wife and two daughters, has a parole hearing scheduled for May 10, according to the U.S. Parole Commission.
The hearing will be held on or near that date at the federal prison near Cumberland, Md., where MacDonald is incarcerated, a commission spokesman said. A decision would probably come three to four weeks later, he said.
The hearing will be closed to the public and news media, said MacDonald's wife, Kathryn, owner of a children's drama school in Laurel. MacDonald, 61, is serving three life sentences for the murders in February 1970 at the family's apartment at Fort Bragg, N.C. He has always maintained his innocence in the slayings of his wife, Colette, 26, and daughters Kimberley, 6, and Kristen, 2.