Two Nations Threaten To Pursue Hutu Killers
BUJUMBURA, Burundi -- Burundi and Rwanda threatened Tuesday to send soldiers into neighboring Congo to hunt down Hutu extremists responsible for slaughtering more than 160 displaced Congolese Tutsis at a U.N. refugee camp in Burundi.
A Congolese government spokesman, Henri Mova Sakanyi, said his nation wanted to resolve the situation diplomatically but would be "obliged to react" if foreign troops crossed its border.
_____News from Nepal_____
Katmandu Largely Isolated After Threats (Associated Press, Aug 18, 2004)
Maoist Rebels Block Land Routes to Nepali Capital (Reuters, Aug 18, 2004)
Nepal Army on Alert, Hotel Shut After Bombs (Reuters, Aug 17, 2004)
Guests Leave Nepal Hotel After Bomb Attacks (Reuters, Aug 17, 2004)
Bombs Explode at Luxury Hotel in Nepal (Associated Press, Aug 16, 2004)
Burundi's army chief accused Congolese soldiers of participating in Friday's massacre, which witnesses said was launched from Congo.
The United Nations said it had suspended talks with the National Liberation Forces, the Burundian Hutu rebel group that asserted responsibility for the killings, because "it seems they are not willing to contribute to the peace process."
KATMANDU, Nepal -- Maoist rebels, fighting to topple Nepal's constitutional monarchy, cut off all land routes to the Himalayan capital on Wednesday, disrupting food and supplies to the city of 1.5 million people. Officials said troops were on high alert on highways. Rebels are demanding the release of detained insurgents, a probe into the alleged killings of activists and information about thousands of missing comrades.
BOSCASTLE, England -- Emergency workers searched the wreckage of a picturesque English fishing village for 15 people unaccounted for after flash floods sent a wall of water tearing through the valley. Cars were swept out to sea, bridges were washed away and people clung to rooftops and trees for safety on Monday as torrential rain hit Britain's southwestern Atlantic coast.
HAMBURG -- A Moroccan being retried on charges that he aided the Sept. 11 plotters was part of lead hijacker Mohamed Atta's inner circle and knew of the group's arguments for turning to violence, a witness testified. Shahid Nickels, 23, told the Hamburg state court that Mounir Motassadeq, 30, was part of a small group that discussed waging holy war against the United States and Israel.
Referring to Motassadeq and Abdelghani Mzoudi, a Moroccan who was acquitted in February of helping the plotters, Nickels said, "They may not have known of the plans, but it was clear that they wanted to fight and die for Islam."
Motassadeq's 2003 conviction on more than 3,000 counts of accessory to murder was overturned in March and sent back for a retrial. The appeals court ruled he was unfairly denied evidence from terrorism suspects in U.S. custody.
MOSCOW -- The Russian Supreme Court upheld the conviction of an arms control researcher convicted of passing military information to a British company that prosecutors said was a front for U.S. intelligence. Igor Sutyagin, who worked for the Institute for the Study of the United States and Canada in Moscow, was sentenced in April to 15 years in prison.
PARIS -- A Paris airport terminal that partially collapsed in May, killing four people, reopened some sections to passengers, airport officials said. Six daily flights to Casablanca, Morocco, and Istanbul will depart from the terminal at Charles de Gaulle International Airport that had been closed to passengers since May 23, when concrete, metal and glass crashed down from the roof.