Friday, May 13, 2005


Teen-Slaying Sentence A Suitland teenager was sentenced yesterday to 40 years in prison for the beating death of a young man who was attacked because he offered to buy a girl a Slurpee.

In the Upper Marlboro courthouse, Circuit Court Judge Sherrie L. Krauser sentenced Emmanuel A. "Elmo" McClain, 16. In March, a Prince George's County jury convicted him of second-degree murder in the beating death of Michael A. Bassett, 18.

Bassett was killed last May after he offered to buy a Slurpee for a girl at a 7-Eleven store in Suitland. Prosecutors said McClain initiated the confrontation with Bassett.

A co-defendant is to go on trial May 31. A second co-defendant, a juvenile, is scheduled to have a hearing that day on whether he should be tried in juvenile court.

Murder Sentence A Capitol Heights man was sentenced yesterday to life in prison plus 20 years for killing a man during a carjacking last summer.

Circuit Court Judge James L. Lombardi sentenced Deangelo A. Hargrove, 20, in the death of Donte T. Lewis, 18.

According to Prince George's County prosecutors, Hargrove fatally shot Lewis in Capitol Heights in July while Lewis was talking to a woman outside a building. Hargrove then stole Lewis's Lincoln Continental, prosecutors said.

Fatal Shooting A man was found shot to death yesterday on a bike path in the Mount Rainier neighborhood of Prince George's County, near the District line.

Residents heard gunshots about midnight, and officers found the body of Leonard Samuel Webster, 33, of the 4000 block of Webster Street about 6:40 a.m., officers said. Webster was found in the 3300 block of Buchanan Street. Police said Webster was released from prison in 2002 after being a murder conviction. Detectives said they did not have any suspects.


Award Raised D.C. police yesterday increased the reward to $80,000 for information in the fatal shooting of 9-year-old Donte Manning in Northwest Washington, officials said yesterday.

Donte was shot in the head as he played outside his apartment building in Columbia Heights on March 24. He died from his injuries April 26. Police have boosted the reward three times since the shooting, saying they were frustrated at the lack of cooperation and tips. Police urge anyone with information to call 202-727-9099.


Teen Transferred A 14-year-old Fort Belvoir boy being held in the Fairfax County juvenile detention center while awaiting trial on a murder charge was transferred yesterday to the adult jail after prosecutors said he had "visions" of killing other youths housed with him.

Rody J. Phillips is charged in the Dec. 6 stabbing of Sun Ku Kwon, 60, as Kwon worked at the 7-Eleven store at 5600 block of Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, just off Route 1. Phillips, who was arrested an hour after the stabbing, told detectives he had been "getting some bad thoughts in his head that he wanted to hurt or kill somebody" before the incident, police said. He is undergoing a pretrial mental evaluation.

Fairfax Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Raymond F. Morrogh indicated that Phillips, who has been certified to stand trial as an adult, will be held separately from adults.

Deliberations Continue A federal jury will resume deliberations Monday in the case against members of the Mara Salvatrucha gang accused of killing a government witness.

The four men are on trial in the July 2003 slaying of Brenda Paz, 17. The victim, who was 16 weeks pregnant, was killed soon after gang members confirmed that she was cooperating with investigators, prosecutors said. If convicted of capital murder, all four defendants could face the death penalty.

The jury has been deliberating since Tuesday.

Fraud Sentence A Fredericksburg man was sentenced to 4 1/2 years in prison yesterday for defrauding Washington area hospitals by faking credentials to inspect mammography machines and other radiological equipment, prosecutors said.

Perry M. Beale, 51, pleaded guilty last year in U.S. District Court in Charlottesville. He admitted that he gave many hospitals passing marks without leaving his home.

For his services, Beale was paid $400,000 to $1 million by medical facilities, including the George Washington University Ambulatory Care Center, Georgetown University Radiology Associates and the CIA's Office of Medical Services.

Compiled from reports by staff writers.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company