washingtonpost.com
Attorneys Seeking to Postpone Taylor's Trial Date

By Jason La Canfora Leonard Shapiro
and
Thursday, October 20, 2005

The attorney for Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor and the Miami State Attorney's Office are expected to file jointly for a continuance during a hearing today, mutually seeking to postpone Taylor's trial on felony assault charges, according to Ed Griffith, a spokesman for the prosecution.

Taylor, 22, was arrested in the spring for allegedly pulling a gun on individuals he believed had stolen two all-terrain vehicles from him. After a prior continuance, a trial date had been set for Oct. 24.

Taylor's attorney, Edward Carhart, could not be immediately reached for comment, but he said during a recent interview that he had other cases going to trial and would seek to postpone Taylor's trial. The prosecution has said throughout the process that it would be amenable to pushing the trial back until after the season, and Griffith said that barring any last-minute changes both sides would seek the continuance. However, the approach of Hurricane Wilma could alter the legal docket for the next few days.

Taylor did not attend Washington's offseason workout program and remained in South Florida, where the altercation took place. His trial was originally set for Sept. 12, but during a pre-trial hearing the judge ruled to continue the case until Oct. 24. Taylor also rejected a plea offer at that time.

Defensive Line Wearing Thin

The defensive line was a bit thin in healthy bodies as the team returned to the practice field in its first major workout of the week.

Starting right tackle Joe Salave'a was not on the field, resting a sore foot (plantar fasciitis), but was listed in the first injury report of the week as probable. His backup, Cedric Killings, also did not practice but was listed as questionable with a sore ankle.

That leaves only two healthy defensive tackles aside from starting left tackle Cornelius Griffin -- backup second-year man Ryan Boschetti and rookie Aki Jones. Boschetti has been active for all five games and has been used occasionally in the tackle rotation, making five tackles. Jones has not been on the active game-day roster since signing Sept. 22.

Gibbs said he thinks Salave'a may be able to play Sunday and indicated he and defensive chief Gregg Williams haven't discussed any contingencies if both tackles can't go this week.

Secondary Coming Together

The secondary Williams envisioned as his starting unit when the team broke training camp may be on the field together for the first time Sunday.

Safety Ryan Clark, who missed the Chiefs game with a bruised spleen, was given a medical clearance to begin practicing, most likely for the first time today. Clark said he was pain-free and will try to play Sunday, though the team listed him as questionable.

"I saw the doctor this morning and he says I'm fine to play," Clark said. "They told me if I feel any pain, just stop what you're doing. Right now I feel fine, no pain at all. This is a blessing."

Starting cornerback Shawn Springs, who missed three quarters of the Denver game with a bruised shin and sat out the loss in Kansas City, was able to practice yesterday for the first time in a week.

Kicker John Hall, who has missed the last four games with a quadriceps injury, was in uniform and listed as probable, though Gibbs said it was too early to know if he can play Sunday. The team is still carrying two kickers with rookie Nick Novak handling most of the work again yesterday.

Backup running back Ladell Betts, who missed the Kansas City game with a sore groin, was listed as probable and practiced yesterday.

Clinton Portis also is probable with a bruised shin, but was given the day off, along with center Casey Rabach (ankle) and cornerback Carlos Rogers (ankle), both also listed as probable.

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company