Page 5 of 5   <      


Her marriage to Lewis Robinson ended in divorce.

She had no immediate survivors.

Kathleen H. PritchardSwiss Watch Historian

Kathleen H. Pritchard, 81, author of an authoritative encyclopedia on the Swiss clock and watch industry, died Oct. 13 of liver failure at the Manor Care nursing home in Bethesda. She was a resident of Bethesda.

Mrs. Pritchard was born in the silver mining town of Cobalt, Ontario. She graduated from the University of Toronto in 1945 and received a master's degree in fine arts and museum work from Radcliffe College in 1947.

She worked as a librarian at the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston and, from 1976 to 1989, at Satellite Systems Engineering in Bethesda, the firm her husband, Wilbur Pritchard, founded.

In the 1950s, she lived in Sudbury, Mass. In 1960, the engineering company her husband worked for purchased an Italian firm. He was sent to Rome to head up the acquisition. Mrs. Pritchard took with her a crate of peanut butter, fearful that she wouldn't be able to find the staple in Europe for her children.

From 1962 to 1967, she lived in Pacific Palisades, Calif., and then moved to the Washington area. She was active in the League of Women Voters in Massachusetts, California and the Washington area, and she served on the boards of the Montgomery County chapter and the National Capital Area League of Women Voters. She chaired the regional organization's transportation committee and was the Montgomery chapter's newsletter editor.

With her husband, she collected precision clocks and watches. She was a volunteer at the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors' museum in Columbia, Pa., and from 1982 to 1992 was a trustee of the museum.

Although reference works existed for British, French and American watch and clock companies, Mrs. Pritchard was annoyed that there was no such book for the Swiss industry. She decided to tackle the job and spent 20 years compiling information. In 1997, her 1,800-page, two-volume book, "Swiss Timepiece Makers, 1775-1975," was published. It covers more than 2,000 Swiss firms.

In 2000, Switzerland's Muse Internationale d'Horlogerie honored her with the Prix Gaia, a prize for outstanding work in the area of timekeeping.

She was a member of St. Francis Episcopal Church in Potomac.

Her husband died in 1999. A son, Hugh Pritchard, died in March.

Survivors include two daughters, Sarah M. Pritchard of Santa Barbara, Calif., and Ruth W. Pritchard-Kelly of Silver Spring; a sister; and four granddaughters.

James J. McGurrinLabor Lawyer

James J. McGurrin, 86, a labor lawyer who retired from the Civil Service Commission in 1974 as deputy director of the bureau of intergovernmental personnel, died Oct. 14 at his home in Arlington. He had throat cancer.

Mr. McGurrin spent most of his federal career with the commission. He was often lent to other agencies and was known for his interdepartmental work on a variety of special projects ranging from Foreign Service to military draft policy.

After his federal work, he became assistant general counsel for the American Federation of Government Employees and was a columnist for the publication Federal Times.

James Joseph McGurrin was a native of Scranton, Pa., and a graduate of George Washington University and its law school. He served in the Army Air Forces in the Pacific during World War II.

He was a member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians and St. Ann Roman Catholic Church in Arlington.

His hobbies included the study of Irish and Celtic culture.

A daughter, Mary Catherine McGurrin, died in 1994.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Lois Ross McGurrin of Arlington; four children, Jean McGurrin of Washington, Kathy Dunlap of Pittsburgh, Jim McGurrin of Falls Church and Peggy McGurrin of Arlington; two sisters; two brothers; seven grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

John F. Neyhard Jr.Software Engineer

John F. Neyhard Jr., 60, a software engineer with Northrop Grumman Corp., died Oct. 12 while visiting with friends and family in Albuquerque, N.M. He had melanoma.

Mr. Neyhard, a resident of Reston since 1975, was born in Louisville. He moved to the District as a teenager, graduated from Calvin Coolidge Senior High School in 1962 and received a bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1966.

He was a software engineer with IBM Federal Systems for 28 years and, after the sale of that division, worked for another eight years for Lockheed Martin. He joined Northrop Grumman in 2003 and continued to work for the company's Information Technology-TASC group until his death.

While living in Cambridge, Mass., Mr. Neyhard volunteered with Big Brothers Big Sisters. He stayed in touch over the years with the young man he mentored, Gabor Korthy, now of Portland, Maine. Mr. Neyhard and his wife became godparents to Korthy's children.

A modeler in his spare time, he flew radio-controlled planes and built model cars. He was a member of an Alfa Romeo owners' club; bits and pieces of his red 1960 Spyder remain in the family garage.

He also was an excellent cabinetmaker.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Mary Neyhard of Reston; and a sister.

Baba CrockerDancer

Baba Crocker, 84, a Washington resident and former performer with Liz Lerman's Dancers of the Third Age, a company of seniors, died Oct. 15 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She had lung disease.

Ms. Crocker was born in Portsmouth, England, and graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.

While volunteering in London with the American Red Cross during World War II, she met her husband, Dr. Michael M. Yoburn, an American.

She spent many years in Danbury, Conn. After her divorce, she lived in Palm Beach, Fla., where she took up dancing and exercise classes. She settled in the Washington area in 1987.

Survivors include two sons, Dr. David C. Yoburn of Newton, Mass., and Byron C. Yoburn of Larchmont, N.J.; a brother; a sister; and four grandchildren.

Gerald P. 'Jerry' BuntonCIA Officer

Gerald P. "Jerry" Bunton, 65, a retired Central Intelligence Agency officer who rode bulls during his high school years, leaped out of airplanes during his Army years and twice served in Beirut when danger was at its height, died of a heart attack Oct. 17 at his home in Raphine, Va.

Between his overseas tours with the CIA, he lived in Herndon and McLean before moving to Raphine in 2000.

Mr. Bunton was born in Morris, Ill. He got his start in rodeo in Cody, Wyo., when he was 11 years old, and was a bull rider on the rodeo circuit every summer through high school.

After graduating from high school in 1958, he joined the 327th Airborne Battle Group of the 101st Airborne Division, serving from 1959 to 1964.

He received a bachelor's degree from Southeast Missouri State University in 1968 and a master's degree in Middle Eastern studies from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana in 1968. He joined the CIA in 1969.

His first duty assignment was in Beirut in 1972. He also served in Saudi Arabia, Oman and Nairobi before returning to Beirut, where he replaced William Buckley as U.S. Embassy station chief after Buckley was kidnapped in 1984 by Muslim Shiite fundamentalists. (Buckley was tortured to death the next year.)

Mr. Bunton spent most of his second tour searching for and trying to free Terry Waite, Terry Anderson and other hostages while trying to keep himself from being kidnapped.

"It was a wild and woolly place," Bill Lofgren, a friend and former colleague, recalled -- a place where the former bull rider thrived.

Mr. Bunton's final duty assignment was Frankfurt before his retirement in 1992. He continued working with the agency on contract, taking temporary assignments in Bosnia, Iraq, Pakistan, Macedonia, Zimbabwe, Germany and the Czech Republic.

His marriage to Judith Ann Parker Bunton ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 17 years, JoEllen Spaulding Bunton of Raphine; a daughter form the first marriage, Cory Fatello of Hampton, N.H.; and three grandchildren.

<                5

© 2005 The Washington Post Company