Thomas Breaks Right Leg

By Howard Bryant and Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writers
Monday, December 19, 2005

Washington Redskins starting right guard Randy Thomas broke his right fibula in the fourth quarter and will undergo season-ending surgery today, according to Redskins Director of Sports Medicine Bubba Tyer.

"We'll miss him," Coach Joe Gibbs said. "He's been a real leader. He's had as good a year as I have seen a guard have."

Thomas was injured with 7 minutes 55 seconds left in the game when running back Ladell Betts fell on his ankle while being tackled. "I'm always positive and I have to stay up," Thomas said. "We just have to keep winning. We just beat Dallas, swept them for the first time in a long time, so I can't worry about myself."

Gibbs said Ray Brown would replace Thomas.

Defense Survives Injuries

Linebacker LaVar Arrington and cornerback Carlos Rogers were listed as inactive yesterday, as expected. Arrington had been slowed by a strained right quadriceps, an injury that kept him out of the Arizona game and out of practice most of last week.

Arrington said he originally injured the thigh Nov. 20 against Oakland but was able to play. Last week, Arrington left practice early Wednesday after apparently suffering a setback. He did not practice Thursday or Friday.

As a result, the Redskins opened their first series yesterday in a nickel set, featuring two linebackers -- Marcus Washington and Lemar Marshall -- and five defensive backs.

Rogers's left biceps injury was worse than originally feared. Tyer said Rogers now has a tear of the left biceps instead of a bruise, but did not completely rule out Rogers for Saturday's game against the Giants.

Reserve safety Matt Bowen was also listed as inactive yesterday. Bowen ruptured a bursa in his knee and appeared to have a setback early in the week.

That only Rogers and Bowen did not play yesterday was, in a way, good news for the Redskins, who began the week concerned about injuries to starting right corner Shawn Springs and reserve corner Walt Harris. Springs was hobbled by a strained groin and a tight lower back, but said he came out of the game well. "Given the circumstances, I'm okay," Springs said. "My groin hurts bad, though. I can tell you that."

Joe Salave'a and Chris Samuels, who were nursing injuries during the week, started and said they were fine after the game.

Wide receiver James Thrash also was inactive yesterday.

Throw That Flag

The Cowboys took themselves out of the game early with penalties, the kind most road teams attribute to crowd noise. Dallas drives were stalled by three false-start penalties in the first quarter. Left tackle Torrin Tucker was flagged twice in the first half, while guard Marco Rivera and all-pro guard Larry Allen took the other first-quarter penalties. Tucker was also flagged for a holding penalty in the second quarter, which was declined. Allen was called for tripping during Marcus Washington's second-quarter interception. For the game, the Cowboys -- who were the second-least penalized team in the league entering the game -- were called for nine for 56 yards.

"I think our crowd was tremendous," defensive end Phillip Daniels said. "You couldn't hear a thing down there."

Twice Is Nice

Having beaten the Cowboys twice in a season for the first time in 10 years, the Redskins left FedEx a happy bunch.

"Believe it or not, there are a lot of Dallas fans in Washington," said defensive end Renaldo Wynn. "I've been here four years and I got sick and tired of hearing them. It hadn't happened since '95. But we can't toot our horn too much."

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2005 The Washington Post Company