Medical Condition Suspected at First In Journalist's Fall

Marcus Rosenbaum, the victim's brother, speaks to reporters outside David Rosenbaum's house.
Marcus Rosenbaum, the victim's brother, speaks to reporters outside David Rosenbaum's house. "What kind of a person could murder somebody for a wallet?" asked Marcus Rosenbaum, who lives in the same neighborhood. (By Susan Biddle -- The Washington Post)
By Del Quentin Wilber and Debbi Wilgoren
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, January 10, 2006

D.C. police and emergency workers initially believed that David E. Rosenbaum had a stroke or seizure when they found the longtime journalist on a sidewalk in Northwest Washington on Friday night. Several hours elapsed before they realized he apparently had been beaten and robbed, authorities said yesterday.

The confusion cost police time that could have been spent combing the neighborhood for robbery suspects. It was not until Rosenbaum, a retired New York Times reporter and editor, was evaluated at Howard University Hospital that the authorities viewed him as a crime victim.

Rosenbaum, 63, died Sunday. Police said they believe that he died from a severe head injury sustained during a mugging and that they are treating the case as a homicide. They said they were awaiting autopsy results for more information. No arrests have been made.

Authorities said they had few clues about what happened to Rosenbaum, who left his house about 9 p.m. to take a walk. He was apparently wearing headphones and listening to music when someone approached him and hit him on the head in the 3800 block of Gramercy Street NW, a tree-lined neighborhood of single-family homes in a usually quiet part of the city.

Jerry Pritchett, a neighborhood resident, found Rosenbaum on the sidewalk about 9:30 p.m. Pritchett yelled for his wife, Claude, to call 911 for an ambulance. The Pritchetts and police and emergency workers noted that Rosenbaum had on his wedding band and his watch. A portable radio headset lay next to him. The Pritchetts did not know Rosenbaum, and he had no identification. Police said Rosenbaum's wallet was taken.

"We put a blanket on him," Claude Pritchett said. "I don't think he was conscious. He seemed disoriented and was not fully aware what was going on. We didn't think at all that it was a crime. I felt this man had suffered a stroke."

The emergency workers wondered whether Rosenbaum had been drunk, police said, but he was not.

Officers "thought he had a medical problem," said Cmdr. Robert Contee, who oversees the 2nd Police District, where the incident occurred. "He had his wedding band and watch on. There was no reason to think it was a robbery."

Other problems slowed the response. It took little time for police and a firetruck to arrive, but it took 22 minutes for an ambulance to reach the scene. Fire department officials said last night that they had launched an investigation to determine why it took so long; they said they strive to get an ambulance to such scenes within 10 minutes. In Rosenbaum's case, dispatchers sent the ambulance from Providence Hospital in Northeast Washington.

"Maybe everybody was booked on a run," said Alan Etter, spokesman for the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department. "We just don't know that right now. The bottom line is: Was there a closer unit available? If there was, why wasn't it dispatched?"

By early Saturday, police had returned to the neighborhood and were looking for evidence and leads. They said two men were spotted in a dark car in the neighborhood about the time of the apparent attack. The car had a license tag with 516 on it, police said. Authorities have reviewed crime reports but turned up no similar robberies in the area.

"We tried to find some kind of pattern that could have given us a link to this crime," said Capt. C.V. Morris, head of the police department's violent crimes branch. "Right now, there isn't any link at all. . . . Witnesses are very scarce."

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2006 The Washington Post Company