Stadium Lease Deal Leaves Questions
Thursday, February 9, 2006
As District leaders hailed the long-awaited approval of a baseball stadium lease yesterday, Major League Baseball expressed concerns about the deal, and great uncertainty remained about the construction timetable.
Richard Levin, an MLB spokesman, said baseball officials had not received a copy of the emergency legislation passed by the D.C. Council shortly after midnight yesterday and sought to review the document before endorsing the deal. The council conditionally approved the lease provided that baseball officials accept a spending cap on District funds of $611 million.
"We are very concerned about what we heard during the debate, and we need to read the materials and the legislative language so we can determine whether they are consistent with the agreements between Major League Baseball and the city," Levin said in a written statement.
Less than 12 hours after the council's final vote on the lease agreement with baseball, Mayor Anthony A. Williams (D) professed confidence at his weekly news conference that construction crews will break ground in the spring. He said he hoped baseball would support the council's spending plan.
"We have to have a full discussion [with baseball officials] in which we relay the discussions" of the council, Williams said. "I hope they look at the positive. We got nine votes for the lease."
Even if baseball were to endorse the council's legislation and the lease becomes final, city officials face a tight timetable to finish the ballpark by March 2008, as required in the stadium agreement.
The council's frantic conclusion to its Tuesday legislative meeting -- when members initially voted to reject the lease, then approved it with a heavily amended spending cap -- left many administration officials and council staff members wondering yesterday what was in the final document. Council aides expect to have the text available late today.
Meanwhile, council members discussed what they believed they had accomplished. The chief achievement of the spending legislation, they said, is to limit by law the amount of public funds that can be used for the stadium project at $611 million.
A cost cap that Williams submitted to the council last week contained some loopholes, according to council consultants. Under the council's measure, any cost overruns would be paid by the Nationals' owner, federal sources or other private entities.
Natwar M. Gandhi, the city's chief financial officer, has not yet reviewed the spending cap and was concerned about its implications on the city's plan to issue construction bonds on Wall Street, his spokeswoman said. Gandhi might not be able to sell bonds for four to six weeks, as final paperwork is completed, and the delay might increase the cost of construction materials.
The city has yet to seize control of more than a dozen privately held properties needed for stadium construction. Although District attorneys had asked a Superior Court judge to allow the city to force out property owners by Tuesday, no ruling has been made, and the next hearing is set for Feb. 24.
Some city officials have begun talking about the possibility that the stadium will not be ready for the Nationals until the middle of the 2008 season, around the All-Star Game break.