WHAT'S THE DEAL?
What's the Deal?
· Jumeirah Essex House on Central Park South in Manhattan has launched a " Disloyalty Campaign ." Prove membership in another hotel loyalty program, join Jumeirah's frequent-stay program and receive a $ 100 American Express gift cheque that can be used at restaurants, shops, etc. The deal, which expires March 31, requires a two-night minimum stay. Rooms start at $279 a night, plus tax (13.38 percent) and a $3.50-per-night fee. Call 888-645-5697 and ask for code DLP02. Hotel info: http:/
· Sixteen hotels have reduced rates during the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Feb. 28-March 19. For example, Springhill Suites has rooms starting at $79 a night (usual rate from $119), while Hotel Icon's rates start at $185 (down from $210). Taxes vary by location. Info: 800-4-HOUSTON, http:/
· The Homestead in Hot Springs, Va ., is offering two-for-one activities for guests who stay at least two nights Sunday-Thursday. For example, pay $70 for a 30-minute Swedish massage and your companion gets a free massage. Or play a round of golf, worth $65, and your friend gets a free round. Deal is good through April 4. Bed-and-breakfast rates start at about $139 per person per night. Book at 866-644-0363. Info: http:/
· Peter Deilmann Cruises is offering free airfare from Washington and 10 percent discounts on cruises for three British Isles itineraries , departing May 26, Aug. 12 and Sept. 12. The 14-night May 26 cruise, for example, which departs from Hamburg, Germany, starts at $4,539 per person double, plus $125 in port charges and $210 in air taxes. The deal includes a 50 percent discount on shore excursion packages ($275 value) and free ship transfers ($110-$140 value). Round-trip air, priced separately, would cost about $811. Info: 800-348-8287, http:/
· MSC Cruises has discounted several Caribbean cruises . For example, the seven-night March 4 sailing of the MSC Opera from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., starts at $495 per person double , a 65 percent savings off the brochure rate. Add about $41 in port charges. Info: 800-666-9333, http:/
· A last-minute three-night Carnival cruise to the Bahamas starts at $299 per person double . The deal applies to the March 2 sailing of the Fantasy from Port Canaveral, Fla., and the March 10 sailing of the Fascination from Miami. Taxes are $34 extra. Brochure fare is $699. Info: 888-CARNIVAL, http:/
· Air New Zealand is offering free air to any of five cities in Australia with the purchase of a discounted round-trip ticket to Auckland. Fly round-trip from Los Angeles or San Francisco to Auckland for $798 (plus about $121 taxes) and fly free between Auckland and Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide or Cairns. Priced separately, a Los Angeles-Auckland-Sydney round trip would cost about $1,253. From Washington, add a round-trip ticket to Los Angeles, usually about $273, and the total is $1,192 -- a savings of about $400. Purchase by March 12 at http:/
· Virgin Atlantic has sale fares to London . Round-trip fare is $407, including taxes. Other airlines are matching. Buy by March 26 at http:/
· A four-night " Paris in Spring " trip from Gate 1 Travel, including round-trip air from Washington and lodging at the Kyriad Paris La Villette, starts at $705 per person double , including taxes. Price applies to the May 4 departure, but other similarly discounted departures are available in April and May. Priced separately, air is about $757 and the hotel runs about $98 a night, for a savings of almost $500 per couple. Info: 800-682-3333, http:/
· A tour of Santiago, Chile and Easter Island from Fly South Vacations starts at $2,044 plus $109 taxes per person double for travel April 1-June 17. The package includes round-trip international air from Washington, round-trip flight between Santiago and Easter Island, two nights' lodging in Santiago and three nights on Easter Island, several sightseeing tours and transfers. Fly Monday-Thursday for cheapest price; purchase by March 9. Priced separately, airfare alone would cost about $1,942. Info: 800-234-5245, http:/
-- Carol Sottili
Prices were verified and available on Thursday afternoon when the Travel section went to press. However, deals sell out quickly and are not guaranteed to be available. Restrictions such as day of travel, blackout dates and advance-purchase requirements sometimes apply.