Toy Building Sets Recalled

Associated Press
Friday, March 31, 2006

One child died and four others suffered serious injuries after swallowing tiny magnets found in building sets sold nationwide, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said yesterday in announcing a recall of 3.8 million of the toy kits.

The commission said it has received reports of 34 incidents involving the small magnets included in the Magnetix magnetic building sets, including the X-treme Combo, Micro and Extreme versions. The magnets are fitted inside the plastic building pieces and rods but can fall out, posing a danger to children who inhale or swallow them.

A 20-month-old boy died after he swallowed magnets that twisted his small intestine and created a blockage, federal officials said. Three other children, between the ages of 3 and 8, suffered intestinal perforations that required surgery and hospitalization in intensive care. And a 5-year-old boy inhaled two magnets that had to be surgically removed from his lungs.

The Chinese-made sets were imported by RoseArt Industries Inc. and sold at stores including Wal-Mart, Target and Toys R Us. Attempts to reach RoseArt after business hours were unsuccessful.

The CPSC said consumers should stop using the sets and return them to RoseArt for a free replacement product. Consumers with questions can contact RoseArt at 1-800-272-9667 or visit the company's Web site at .

© 2006 The Washington Post Company