About Falun Gong
· The Buddhist-based spiritual movement has millions of members in China and elsewhere. In Chinese, Falun Gong means "Practice of the Wheel of Law."
· Former Chinese soldier Li Hongzhi founded the group in 1992.
· Group blends meditation and martial arts with a cosmology involving aliens and flying humans. Practitioners say their goal is self-improvement.
· Sect was banned by the Chinese government in 1999 after 10,000 practitioners surrounded the Chinese Communist Party headquarters in Beijing in a series of peaceful protests.
· Activists contend that Chinese security forces have killed hundreds of Falun Gong followers and that thousands are incarcerated in labor camps and jails.