Saudi Arabia Asks U.S. to Intervene in Lebanon
Monday, July 24, 2006
The Saudi foreign minister personally urged President Bush yesterday to intervene to stop the violence in Lebanon, the most direct sign of mounting frustration among key Arab states with what they see as a hands-off U.S. posture toward Israeli strikes against Hezbollah.
In an Oval Office meeting yesterday afternoon, Prince Saud al-Faisal said, he delivered a letter to Bush from Saudi King Abdullah asking for U.S. help in arranging an immediate cease-fire, a stance U.S. officials have repeatedly rejected on the grounds that it is premature. U.S. officials would not comment directly on the request, saying only that the two sides discussed the humanitarian situation, reconstruction and how to end the violence.
"I found the president very conscious of the destruction and the bloodshed that the Lebanese are suffering," Saud told reporters after the meeting. "His commitment [is] to see the cessation of hostilities. I have heard that from him personally, and that is why he is sending [Condoleezza] Rice to work out the details."
Secretary of State Rice said the need for a cease-fire is "urgent" but cautioned that it had to be on terms that ensure it will last.
The Saudi request for a cease-fire promised to further complicate an already difficult diplomatic mission for Rice, who departed for meetings in Israel and Italy last night after joining Bush in conferring with the Saudi delegation. The United States had been hoping to enlist moderate Arab allies in an effort to pressure Syria and Iran to rein in Hezbollah, but the Saudi move yesterday seemed to cloud that initiative.
Although the Saudis had initially criticized Hezbollah's actions in triggering the new violence, diplomats say the kingdom's leaders have become increasingly distressed about the growing humanitarian crisis in Lebanon. Israeli airstrikes have produced numerous civilian casualties and vast devastation.
One senior European diplomat said the Saudis were also concerned that the package they expect the United States to present to European and Arab allies in Rome this week will be too heavily anti-Iran and anti-Syria.
U.S.-Saudi relations have been strained over terrorism issues and the Bush administration's democracy initiative in the Middle East, but the kingdom remains perhaps the most important American ally in the Arab world, and King Abdullah's views carry influence with Bush.
Mindful of the growing anger among Arab countries, U.S. officials said they expect Rice to convey the administration's concern over the humanitarian problem caused by Israel's choices of targets when she meets with Israeli officials today. But they made no secret of their continuing skepticism of the value of an immediate cease-fire or of their desire to see Israel further weaken Hezbollah, which before the outbreak of hostilities had thousands of fighters and a large cache of missiles and other weapons.
Speaking before the Saudi meeting, White House chief of staff Joshua B. Bolten said the United States is open to the establishment of a international military force to help the Lebanese government maintain security. But he suggested that the time is not yet ripe.
"The purpose of an international force has to be to maintain a sustainable cease-fire," Bolten said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "A cease-fire is sustainable only if we get at the root problem, which is Hezbollah, a terrorist organization that has kidnapped Israeli soldiers and sent rockets into civilian areas in the sovereign territory of Israel."
The events yesterday underscored the complex task awaiting Rice on her first diplomatic foray since the hostilities began in Lebanon July 12, after Hezbollah's cross-border raid triggered a fierce Israeli response. The Bush administration has strongly backed Israel's actions while cautioning Israel to minimize civilian casualties. But that posture has angered the Arab countries, such as Saudi Arabia, on whom the administration must depend to be interlocutors with Syria and Iran.