Carl M. Brashear; Diver Persevered After Amputation

By Adam Bernstein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 28, 2006

Carl M. Brashear, 75, the Navy's first black master deep-sea diver and who later successfully fought to continue his undersea career after he became an amputee, died July 25 at the Naval Medical Center in Portsmouth, Va. He had respiratory and heart ailments.

Mr. Brashear made several efforts to interest filmmakers in his life story before Cuba Gooding Jr. played him in the 2000 film "Men of Honor." The film was generally true to Mr. Brashear's determination at work even as it overlooked his troubled marriages and alcoholism.

"I put my naval career ahead of my family life," he later said. "That's just the way it was, for better or worse."

A sharecropper's son with minimal formal schooling, Mr. Brashear joined the Navy in 1948 and endured years of racial taunts, even death threats, as he pushed ahead for what he hoped would be a glamorous diving career.

In 1966, he lost half of his left leg in a shipboard accident. After a long struggle in physical therapy and using an artificial leg, he became the Navy's first amputee diver. He retired in 1979 at the top enlisted rank of master chief petty officer.

Carl Maxie Brashear was born Jan. 19, 1931, in Tonieville, Ky. One of eight children, he left school after the seventh grade to help in his family's tobacco, corn and wheat fields. He also worked in a gas station in Sonora, Ky.

Hoping for more adventure, he tried to enlist in the Army in 1948 but was turned away -- months before a presidential order desegregating the armed forces. The Navy took Mr. Brashear but relegated him to the officers' mess.

While on an aircraft carrier in 1950, he saw a mission to salvage a fighter plane that had fallen overboard.

"A Navy diver with helmet and diving suit was sent out to the ship and went down about 50 feet to attach lines to the plane," Mr. Brashear once told a Norfolk reporter. "Everyone on ship was looking at him. No one had ever paid much attention to me. I immediately thought that diving was something I wanted to do."

He began sending letters requesting admission to the Navy salvage diving school, but his notes usually went missing or unanswered.

Although admitted to salvage diving school in 1954, he was constantly harassed by classmates, sometimes with direct threats on his life. He graduated the next year and became a salvage diver, retrieving sunken planes, ships and World War II torpedoes that he would sometimes have to detonate.

In 1960, he completed his general equivalency diploma and entered the Navy's deep-sea diving school in Washington. Mr. Brashear said he failed the school's science tests many times before buckling down and graduating in 1964.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2006 The Washington Post Company