Portis Declared Inactive With Aggravated Shoulder Injury

By Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, September 18, 2006

IRVING, Tex., Sept. 17 -- Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis was inactive for Sunday night's 27-10 loss to the Cowboys at Texas Stadium after aggravating his injured left shoulder, and Coach Joe Gibbs said it is unclear how the soon he will be able to return. Portis, who set the franchise rushing mark last season, partially dislocated his left shoulder in the preseason opener, was used for 10 carries in the season opener last week, and was too sore to play Sunday.

Gibbs said the soreness is unrelated to Portis's original injury and the problem is in the back of his left shoulder. "We've just got to get the soreness out of there," Gibbs said. "We'll see at what point he can bounce back and practice."

With Portis out, Ladell Betts started for the second straight week and after sitting on the sideline for all of Week 1's loss to Minnesota, newcomer T.J. Duckett (five rushes for 24 yards) got his first carries as a Redskin last night. With the Redskins trailing most of the game, they called just 20 rushing plays and failed to amass 100 yards on the ground for the second straight week.

Portis, who carried 10 times in the first game with his shoulder in a harness, said he is eager to return and believes the rest will serve him well in the long term.

"This is something totally different," he said. "I feel like the [dislocation] is all healed and this week was precautionary so we don't have any setbacks for the rest of the season. I'm glad it's over with. We lost. Now it's time to get better."

NFL Meets with Jansen

Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations, said that two league officials met with starting tackle Jon Jansen on Friday regarding his recent remarks about the prevalence of the use of banned substances in the league. Harold Henderson, the league's chief labor executive, and Adolpho Birch, an attorney for the league, participated in the meeting.

According to a source familiar with the meeting, Jansen said during the exchange that he knew no specifics about use of human growth hormone in the league and knew of no suppliers of performance-enhancing drugs for players. Jansen provided no names of players he believed to be taking performance-enhancing drugs.

New Pieces Struggle to Fit

Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, one of the team's prominent offseason acquisitions, was held without a catch in the opener and caught just one pass for six yards on Sunday. Wideout Antwaan Randle El was far less involved than in the opener, with two catches for eight yards, and top defensive free agents Andre Carter (end) and Adam Archuleta (safety) have yet to find their way, struggling to make an impact again.

"I don't have answers for it," wideout Santana Moss said of the lack of improvement despite another year of record spending on coaches and players. "Right now we're going through a bumpy stage and we know that, but we'll get through it."

Springs Remains Out

Cornerback Shawn Springs missed his second straight game while recovering from preseason abdominal surgery, and has yet to return to practice since having a procedure to repair a muscle tear. Bubba Tyer, director of sports medicine, said last week that no date has been determined for Springs to begin practicing. . . . Starting defensive tackle Joe Salave'a suffered a calf injury in the game and reserve Todd Yoder, making his debut after being signed last week, suffered a concussion. . . . Rock Cartwright's 100-yard kickoff return was the first kickoff return for a touchdown surrendered by Dallas since 1993.

Staff writer Mark Maske contributed to this report from Philadelphia.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company