Colo. Gunman Said to Have Attacked Some Pupils Sexually

By Catherine Tsai
Associated Press
Friday, September 29, 2006

BAILEY, Colo., Sept. 28 -- The gunman who killed a student and committed suicide during a standoff at a high school Wednesday methodically selected six girls as hostages -- apparently favoring blondes -- and sexually assaulted at least some of them, authorities and witnesses said Thursday.

Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said the assaults went beyond touching or fondling.

"It was pretty horrific," Wegener said, without elaborating.

The killer was identified as Duane Morrison, 53, a petty criminal who had a Denver address but apparently had been living in his battered yellow Jeep when he walked inside the school with two handguns and a backpack that he said contained a bomb. Investigators did not immediately say what was in the backpack.

Authorities said they knew of no connection between Morrison, his hostages or anyone else at Platte Canyon High School in this mountain town of about 3,500.

During the siege, he took the girls hostage in a second-floor classroom and eventually released four of them. Still holding two girls, he soon cut off contact and warned that "something would happen at 4 o'clock," authorities said.

About half an hour before the deadline, a SWAT team used explosives to blow a hole in a classroom wall in hopes of getting a clear shot at him, but the officers could not see him through the gap and blew the door off the hinges to get inside, said Lance Clem, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety.

Morrison fired at the officers, shot Emily Keyes, 16, in the back of the head as she tried to run away, and then killed himself, authorities said. During the gun battle, police said, they shot Morrison several times.

A sorrowful Wegener defended the decision to try to take Morrison by force.

"My decision was to either wait, with the possibility of having two dead hostages, or act to try and save what I feared he would do to them," the sheriff said. "We have confirmed he did traumatize and assault our children. . . . This is why I made the decision I did.

"We had to go try and save them."

Classes were canceled for the rest of the week as the community tried to come to grips with the bloodshed, which evoked memories of the 1999 shooting rampage at Columbine High School in Littleton, less than an hour's drive away, that left 15 dead.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2006 The Washington Post Company