Correction to This Article
An Oct. 19 Metro article incorrectly said that Keonica Crystal Smith, who was fatally shot last year in Prince George's County, was a cousin of Shareef Atkins, who has been charged with her murder. She was not related to him. The article also said she was pregnant; she was not.

Man Wanted in Double Killing Is Captured in Los Angeles

By Joshua Partlow
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, October 19, 2006

One minute, Shareef Atkins was sitting in a Toyota Solara with his girlfriend and a man he viewed as a father figure, with his cousin and a friend close by. The next minute, Prince George's County police say, Atkins took out a gun and opened fire, killing his pregnant cousin and the 69-year-old man and wounding the others.

Atkins, 29, fled the scene of the May 10, 2005, double killing in the Forestville area and was captured recently in Los Angeles, police said. He was charged with two counts of first-degree murder last week and is being held without bond in the Prince George's County Detention Center.

The motive for the shooting remains unknown, said police Lt. Robert Nealon, commander of the homicide unit. "He actually shot four of his friends," Nealon said. "For no reason, he just started shooting."

Atkins's cousin Keonica Crystal Smith, 26, was shot twice in the upper torso and was pronounced dead at a hospital on Andrews Air Force Base. A bullet struck Paul Winestock Sr. in the shoulder and entered his chest cavity. He died at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Atkins was pulled over in Los Angeles last month when driving while intoxicated, Nealon said. Atkins gave Los Angeles police a fake name, but they determined his identity from fingerprints, police said. He was extradited to Maryland last Thursday.

Nealon said Atkins considered Winestock a surrogate father. Winestock's companion said yesterday that she welcomed the arrest.

"It's been really rough for me," said Dolores Mayfield, 73, who said she lived with Winestock on and off for about 30 years and had a child with him.

Atkins's girlfriend, who was sitting in the front seat of the car, and a friend outside the car survived their gunshot wounds, police said.

The friends were gathered in a car in the driveway of a house where a funeral repast was taking place, according to police and charging documents.

From inside the car, Atkins fired "numerous gunshots," the documents say. When the shooting stopped, Winestock stumbled out of the car and collapsed, and the wounded girlfriend began to drive away. Atkins ordered her to stop and let him out, and then she kept driving until she was stopped by police, the documents say.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company