Be Smart About Giving
If you're thinking about making a donation, here are a few things to consider.
· Don't give to a charity you're unfamiliar with, especially if it solicits you by phone or mail.
· Go to the charity's Web site, if it has one, to get an idea of what the organization does.
· Look up the charity's tax-exempt status. To find the IRS tax filing required of charities, known as 990s, use http:/
· If a group is not registered on http:/
· Ask for a copy of the group's annual report, which is often available online. It has information about activities and how the group is governed. Think twice about a group that has significant overlap between staff members and the board.