No. 14 Hoyas Bounce Back Vs. Fairfield

The Associated Press
Wednesday, November 22, 2006; 10:38 PM

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Georgetown coach John Thompson III already knows what juniors Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert can do. On Wednesday night, he wanted to get a look at some of his younger players.

Freshman DaJuan Summers gave him a lot to look at, scoring 17 points to lead the No. 14 Hoyas to a 73-60 win over Fairfield.

Summers, who averaged 11 minutes in Georgetown's first three games, played 31 against Fairfield. Freshmen Vernon Macklin and Jeremiah Rivers also played over 15 minutes each, far more than usual. Macklin had five points, and Rivers four.

"We have to prepare now for later," Thompson said. "And it is tough as a coach to make the decision to do that, but we have some guys who need to get experience, to get minutes, which down the line will make us a significantly better team."

The Hoyas did look significantly better than they did Sunday when they lost 75-62 at home to Old Dominion, and fell six spots to No. 14 in the rankings.

They used a small lineup for much of the night, and opened the second half with a 17-2 run to break open a close game.

Hibbert, the Hoya's 7-foot-2 center took just one shot, a dunk, before halftime and finished the game with nine points in 21 minutes. He had been averaging 17.0 points and 7.7 rebounds per game.

"I thought we were better smaller today," Thompson said. "Once we get experience, I think we can be a multidimensional team. Hopefully we'll be able to play fast, play slow, be big, be small. I just thought we were better off small today."

Summers, who came in averaging just over two points a contest, hit six of his 10 shots, before fouling out with 58 seconds left in the game. Jesse Sapp added 14 points for the Hoyas (3-1).

"It's just the beginning. We're just seeing where everyone fits in together, what team works well together," Sapp said. "Everybody can do different things, and everyone can have a night like I had any night."

Fairfield's Anthony Johnson opened the scoring with a dunk, and the Stags (1-6) scored the first six points of the game, before Jonathan Wallace hit a 3-pointer for Georgetown, 3 minutes in.

Fairfield slowed things down, running a deliberate half-court offense, and led most of the first half.

The Hoyas took the lead for good, 21-19, with just under 6 minutes remaining before intermission on a pair of free throws by Summers.

Georgetown stretched that lead to 34-24, but Fairfield's Jonathan Han made two steals in the last 30 seconds of the half, both leading to easy baskets and the Stags cut the lead to 34-30.

"We wanted to try to run and jump and catch them off-guard a little bit, and I thought we did at the end (of the half)" said Fairfield coach Ed Cooley. "But hey, they showed why they are the (No. 14) team in the country, breaking people down and making shots."

The Stags have no players over 6-7. Freshman center Greg Nero, who had been averaging 16.8 points a game, fouled out with 2:34 left in the game after scoring just four points.

The two teams combined for 39 fouls.

Guard Mike Van Schaick led Fairfield with 14 points. Danny Oglesby added 13.

The game was played before 5,627 fans, the largest regular-season crowd ever for a Fairfield home game.

© 2006 The Associated Press