Funeral Plans for President Ford
Thursday, December 28, 2006; 3:43 AM
Funeral plans for President Ford (all times are local):
Thursday, Dec. 28
* Noon. Capitol closes for tours through Tuesday, Jan. 2.
Friday, Dec. 29
* 12:20 p.m., President Ford's casket arrives at St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Palm Desert, Calif. Mrs. Ford and the family will have a private prayer service.
* 1:15 p.m., close friends and guests will arrive at St. Margaret's for private visitation. The Ford family will return to their residence.
* 4:20 p.m., public repose begins at St. Margaret's. The church will remain open until 6 a.m. or 7 a.m. on Saturday.
Saturday, Dec. 30
* 9 a.m., departure ceremony from St. Margaret's.
* 9:40 a.m., Ford's body leaves St. Margaret's for Washington, D.C.
* 5:20 p.m., Ford's body arrives at Andrews Air Force Base, traveling to the U.S. Capitol. The motorcade will pause at the World War II Memorial.
* 6:20 p.m., the casket will be carried up the east steps of the Capitol to the door of the House of Representatives.
* 6:30 p.m. Rotunda arrival ceremony, open to President Ford's immediate family, members and members-elect of the House and Senate, visiting heads of state and invited government officials. After the arrival ceremony, the Rotunda will open to the public until midnight. The public waiting area will be at the southwest corner of the Capitol grounds, across from the U.S. Botanic Garden.
* 7 p.m., state funeral begins in the Rotunda.
* 8:20 p.m., Ford's body lies in state.
Sunday, Dec. 31, and Monday, Jan. 1
* Ford's body continues in state. Rotunda open to the public from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 2
* 8:30 a.m., the casket is moved from the Rotunda to the U.S. Senate door for a period of repose.
* 9:15 a.m., departure ceremony on the east steps of the U.S. Senate.
* 10 a.m., Ford's casket arrives at Washington National Cathedral.
* 10:30 a.m., funeral services will begin.
* 12:15 p.m., casket will leave the cathedral for trip to Grand Rapids, Mich.
* 2:15 p.m., body will arrive in Michigan.
* 3:30 p.m., casket will arrive at the presidential museum in Grand Rapids. An arrival ceremony for Mrs. Ford and guests will follow. The body will lie in public repose through the night.
Wednesday, Jan. 3
* 2 p.m., funeral services at Grace Episcopal Church in Grand Rapids. The president will be interred at a hillside site north of the museum.
Thursday, Jan. 4
* 1 p.m., Mrs. Ford and the family will return to California.