WHAT'S THE DEAL?
What's the Deal?
· The Inn at Spanish Bay, overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Pebble Beach, Calif., has a Winter Stay & Play Package. The deal, which is $2,085 per person double, includes lodging for two nights, a round of golf for two on Pebble Beach Golf Links and a round of golf for two on the Links at Spanish Bay. Priced separately, lodging would cost $535 a night, and the two rounds of golf would be $690 per person. The package, which includes taxes, is good through April 7. Also, book the stay-and-play deal through Jan. 31 and receive 50 percent off additional room nights; with taxes, an extra night would cost about $316. For reservations, call 866-226-5442. Resort info and package details: http:/
· Stay at the Balsams Grand Resort Hotel in Dixville Notch, N.H., Sundays-Thursdays during January to receive the "Ski Free Package." The deal is $79 a night per person double and includes lodging, breakfast and lift tickets to the alpine ski area and trail passes for cross-country skiing. Arrive on a Monday and get a free cocktail party with hors d'oeuvres. Taxes and service fees are an extra 23 percent. The package is not available on the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, Jan. 14-15. Priced separately, the package would cost about $127 per person per night. Book at 866-380-6798. Package info: http:/
· The Westin St. Maarten Dawn Beach Resort & Spa has introductory rates for guests who stay four nights Jan. 2-21. The $199 nightly rate, a savings of 43 percent, applies to a resort-view room. Taxes and service fees are an extra 20 percent. The Caribbean resort, which opened in mid-December, has 317 rooms, a spa, casino and St. Maarten's largest freshwater infinity pool. Info: 800-937-8461, http:/
· Norwegian Coastal Voyage has a "Norway Winter Wonderland" package for travel through March 31. The deal is $799 per person single or double and includes airfare on SAS from Washington to Bergen, with return from Oslo and a two-night cruise from Bergen to Trondheim; fuel surcharges and air taxes are an additional $279 per person. The trip can be extended; hotel accommodations start at $99 per person double per night at the Bergen Strand Hotel. Priced separately, airfare alone would cost as much as $2,470 round trip for midweek departures (flights that include a Saturday stay are cheaper). Reservations: 800-323-7436. Info: http:/
· Victoria Cruises has winter specials on its Yangtze River itineraries. The three-night downstream cruise from Chongqing to Yichang and the four-night reverse itinerary start at $450 per person double for departures through mid-March, a savings of $325 from shoulder-season rates. The seven-night round-trip cruise from Chongqing starts at $800 per person double, a savings of at least $600. Shore excursion packages are also discounted; pay $60 per person (a savings of $20) on the shorter itineraries and $175 per person (a savings of $50) for longer cruises. Info: 800-348-8084, http:/
· Today is the last day of Celebrity Cruises' "Countdown to 2007" sale. Go to http:/
· British Airways has reduced the price of its Club World seats to London for summer travel by about $600. The round-trip business-class fare starts at $2,888 (plus $237 taxes). Fare must be purchased by Feb. 1; travel July 1-Sept. 2. Surcharge of $30 each way applies to Thursday-Sunday travel. Also, book Club World seats and get a fourth night free at several four- and five-star hotels. Nightly rate at the Copthorne Tara, for example, starts at $188. Info: 800-247-9297, http:/
· Aer Lingus has a winter sale from New York, Boston or Chicago to Dublin or Shannon, Ireland. The round-trip fare is $376 (including $90 taxes). Add-on fare from Reagan National is about $124. Book by Jan. 19; the fare applies to Chicago travel Jan. 11-Feb. 28, Boston Jan. 13-28 and New York Jan. 15-Feb. 28. Other airlines are matching. Info: 800-474-7424, http:/
· A seven-night "Costa Rica Fly & Drive" package to four cities has been discounted by Gate 1. Price starts at $841 per person double (plus $73 taxes) and includes round-trip air from Washington to San Jose; seven nights lodging in San Jose, Arenal, Monteverde and either Jaco or Manuel Antonio; seven-day four-wheel-drive vehicle rental; arrival transfer; and breakfasts. Cheapest price applies to May 1 and Sept. 18 departures; other departures throughout 2007 are slightly higher. Book by Jan. 3 requesting promo code DLCR100. Info: 800-682-3333. Sign up at http:/
· General Tours World Traveler is celebrating its 60th anniversary by offering various promotions, each valid for two days, beginning Jan. 2. The first deal, good Jan. 2-3, is a free visa with any of 22 trips to China, a savings of up to $104 a person. Tour prices vary: A five-night escorted tour to Beijing, for example, starts at $1,664 per person double, including air from Washington. Other upcoming deals include a free iPod with any escorted tour; $200 savings on any tour to Angkor Wat, Cambodia; and a free two-night stay in Prague with any five-night European vacation. A new two-day special will be offered every weekday through March 30. Also, AARP members receive an extra $100 discount on all escorted vacations. Info: 800-221-2216, http:/
-- Carol Sottili
Prices were verified and available on Thursday afternoon when the Travel section went to press. However, deals sell out quickly and are not guaranteed to be available. Restrictions such as day of travel, blackout dates and advance-purchase requirements sometimes apply.