Jim Lampley Denies Felony Allegations

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
By JOHN NADEL
The Associated Press
Thursday, January 4, 2007; 8:57 PM

LOS ANGELES -- Sports announcer Jim Lampley denied wrongdoing Thursday after being arrested for investigation of felony domestic violence.

The 57-year-old Lampley was taken into custody Wednesday and booked on the felony charge and investigation of violating a restraining order and dissuading a witness, both misdemeanors, said Mary Helmen, the supervisor of investigators of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department's domestic violence unit.

Sheriff's Capt. Glenn Revell said Lampley was released from the Vista Detention Facility after posting $35,500 bail.

"The circumstances are that there was an altercation between Mr. Lampley and a 28-year-old female with whom he reportedly has a dating relationship," said Revell, adding he could release no additional details pending the presentation of a completed investigation to the district attorney's office.

According to court records, Candice Sanders wrote in an application for a restraining order that Lampley attacked her in her Encinitas apartment on New Year's Eve.

"I received injuries to my head, neck and back from his throwing me against the walls and door," she wrote.

Sanders, Miss California USA 2003, also alleged that Lampley had been drinking and smoking marijuana before attacking her. She also claimed he threw her to the floor at a New York restaurant two months ago.

"I am terrified that he will harm me unless he is restrained," Sanders wrote.

Helmen wouldn't comment on specifics of the case except to say there was a witness to the alleged altercation.

Lampley is scheduled to be arraigned next Wednesday at the Vista Courthouse. And he is due in court the following day for a hearing on whether the temporary restraining order granted Tuesday should be extended.

"I am innocent of the charge of domestic abuse that has been leveled against me and will vigorously defend myself," Lampley said in a statement issued through spokesman Howard Bragman. "I have tremendous respect for the justice system as a whole and for the San Diego courts and district attorney's office specifically.

"I'm confident that the process will prove that I'm not guilty of this charge. I thank my friends and family for their support during this difficult time, and ask for the understanding and patience from the media until my legal situation allows me to discuss this in more depth."


CONTINUED     1        >

© 2007 The Associated Press

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity