Ngo Quang Truong; South Vietnamese Army General

By Patricia Sullivan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 25, 2007

Ngo Quang Truong, 77, who was considered one of the most honest and capable generals of the South Vietnamese army during the long Vietnam War, died of cancer Jan. 22 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Springfield.

Gen. Creighton Abrams, who commanded American military operations in Vietnam from 1968 to 1972, told subordinates that Gen. Truong was capable of commanding an American division. Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, who served in Vietnam, said in his 1992 autobiography, "It Doesn't Take a Hero," that Gen. Truong was "the most brilliant tactical commander I'd ever known."

"Simply by visualizing the terrain and drawing on his experience fighting the enemy for 15 years, Truong showed an uncanny ability to predict what they were going to do," Schwarzkopf wrote.

Gen. Truong held the heart of Hue against the North Vietnamese during the Tet Offensive of 1968, in what is often regarded as one of the longest, bloodiest battles of the Vietnam War. He returned there in May 1972 to command the northern military region. That return to Hue calmed the panicked refugees and allowed him to regroup the troops who fled Quang Tri.

Three years later, as the North Vietnamese drove south toward ultimate victory, Gen. Truong was ordered to evacuate all the military personnel from the tactical zone around Da Nang.

"This Herculean task failed, but Truong should not bear the blame for failure in such a difficult situation," the 1996 Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War said.

Under barrage by North Vietnamese artillery, his troops fell apart and abandoned their posts. Gen. Truong swam to a ship off the coast of the city and reestablished his headquarters as Da Nang fell. Gen. Truong, flown to Saigon, was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown, the press reported. A U.S. Army officer who had worked closely with him heard what happened, tracked Gen. Truong down and arranged for his family to leave on an American vessel as Saigon fell.

The general's family split up: His wife and older son made it to Fort Chaffee, Ark.; his daughters and middle son fled with a State Department employee to Seattle; and his youngest son, a 4-year-old who spoke no English, was at Camp Pendleton, Calif., for several weeks before his identity was established.

Gen. Truong moved to Falls Church that year and wrote military history books, including "Easter Offensive of 1972" (1979), "RVNAF and US Operational Cooperation and Coordination" (1980) and "Territorial Forces" (1981). He moved to Springfield in 1983, the same year he became a U.S. citizen, and was a computer analyst for the Association of American Railroads. He worked there for about a decade until he retired in 1994.

Ngo Quang Truong was born Dec. 19, 1929, to a well-to-do family in the Mekong River Delta province of Kien Hoa. Following the Vietnamese practice, his family name was Ngo and his first name was Truong, but Americans routinely called Vietnamese by their military title and first name, which is why he was so widely known as Gen. Truong.

He graduated from Mytho College and went to military school. Commissioned into the army in 1954, he spent the next dozen years in the elite airborne brigade, and in 1966 became commander of the 1st Infantry Division in Hue. He left to take charge of the region that encompasses the Mekong Delta in 1971.

"He did not look like my idea of a military genius: only five feet seven, in his midforties, very skinny, with hunched shoulders and a head that seemed too big for his body," Schwarzkopf wrote. "His face was pinched and intense, not at all handsome, and there was always a cigarette hanging from his lips. Yet he was revered by his officers and troops -- and feared by those North Vietnamese commanders who knew of his ability."

Unlike other generals who had grown rich as they ascended the ranks, Gen. Truong led a Spartan, ascetic life. Retired U.S. Army Lt. Gen. John H. Cushman, who became his close friend after working with him, said Gen. Truong didn't own a suit and his wife kept pigs behind his modest quarters in the military compound where they lived.

Two nights before the Tet Offensive, Cushman said, Gen. Truong sensed that something would happen and put his troops on alert. When the first night passed quietly, Gen. Truong dismissed his advisers but kept his troops ready, Cushman said. That night brought the attack and several weeks of fighting.

"He survived with the enemy all around him," Cushman said. "They never took his command post, but they took the rest of the citadel. . . . He was imaginative and always looked for ways to improve [his troops'] living conditions and family life."

Survivors include his wife, Nguyen Kim-Dung of Springfield; three sons, Nguyen Xuan Thanh of Slidell, La., Ngo Quang Tri of Clifton and Ngo Tri Thien of Las Vegas; two daughters, Huynh Mai Trinh of Fairfax City and Ngo Tram-Tiara of Rockville; 12 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company