WHAT'S THE DEAL?
What's the Deal?
* Take the scenic route back from Florida with a deal from Hertz. Pay $1 a day (plus taxes) for an economy car for pickups April 8-June 30 from any of seven Florida airport locations, including West Palm Beach, Miami, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. The catch? You must drop the car off at designated locations in one of 36 cities, including Washington and Baltimore. For example, a Hyundai Accent rented in Miami on April 25 and dropped off at Dulles International on April 27 is $14, including taxes. Rate of $1 daily applies to economy cars rented by Jan. 31 deadline; pay $2 a day by Feb. 28 and $3 a day by March 31. Larger cars are available for higher fees; an intermediate car, for example, starts at about $10 a day (plus taxes). Maximum rental period at reduced rates is 14 days. Request rate code 1WAY at http:/
* Cayo Espanto, a private island off the coast of Belize, has discounted its rates more than 40 percent for stays of at least five nights. Rates at the luxury resort start at $995 per couple per night (rates usually start at $1,695 a night), including meals, private plunge pools, transportation from the San Pedro airport and 24-hour butler service. Book by Feb. 14. Info: 888-666-4282, http:/
* Waterville Valley, N.H., has a Fab Feb promo for skiers through Feb. 15. Midweek (Monday-Thursday) rate of $60 per night per person double includes lodging in a one-bedroom Town Square condo and a lift ticket (at least $109 per person priced separately). Also, add a two-hour group lesson for $18; the usual price is $36. Stay three nights and receive a $50 voucher for any Town Square restaurant or shop. Book at 800-468-2553. Resort info: http:/
* Get discounted cruise fares for various 2007 dates on 15 lines, including Carnival, Princess, Norwegian and Disney, with Expedia's Cruise Getaways promotion. Deals vary by line but include cabin discounts, cabin upgrades, free wine and shipboard credits. For example, a seven-night Princess cruise to Alaska that departs Seattle on May 20 is $1,478 per couple (including taxes) for an interior cabin, a savings of $413 over the cruise line's price. Each cabin also receives a bottle of wine and a $50 shipboard credit. Book the sale fares by Feb. 28. Info: 888-249-3978, http:/
* An 11-night Bahamas cruise departing Nassau on March 16 has been discounted 20 percent. The fare for American Canadian Caribbean Line's cruise aboard the 100-passenger Grande Mariner starts at $2,500 per person double, a savings of $625. Port charges are $250 extra. The ship visits Eleuthera and Exuma Cays before returning to Nassau on March 27. Reservations: 800-556-7450, http:/
* Crystal Cruises has promotional fares on its European Treasures cruise aboard the 940-passenger Crystal Symphony from Rome to London departing May 31. Stateroom starts at $3,499 per person double (previously priced at $3,895) on the 10-day cruise, which stops in Livorno, Italy; Monte Carlo, Monaco; Gibraltar; and Bordeaux, France. Rate includes non-alcoholic beverages. Taxes, fuel surcharge and port charges are an extra $265 per person. Book by March 15. Info: 888-799-4625, http:/
* United will start flying nonstop from Dulles International to Rome beginning April 1 and is offering promotional fares for departures by May 17. Fare is $844 round trip (plus about $72 taxes); fare on other airlines for connecting flights in May starts at about $941. United's nonstop fare will jump to about $1,670 round trip after the sale is over. Purchase by Feb. 6 and travel Monday-Thursday for cheapest fares. Thirty-day maximum stay and Saturday night minimum stay required. Members of United's Mileage Plus program receive 5,000 bonus miles for booking an economy ticket; registration required. Info: http:/
* Fly from Newark to cities across Europe, Africa and the Middle East with a sale from Alitalia. The deal is good for travel departing by Feb. 28 and returning no later than March 10. Purchase by Jan. 31. No advance purchase required; minimum Saturday night stay. Fares range from $309 to $839 round trip (plus taxes). For example, round-trip fare to Barcelona is $349 (plus about $90 taxes); fare on other airlines starts at about $474. Book at http:/
* 2Afrika Inc. has discounted its single supplements on an eight-night safari to Kenya and Tanzania. The April 18, May 2 and May 21 departures of Your Wildest Dream safari start at $3,145 per person double, and singles pay only $95 additional (usual supplement starts at about $370). Deal includes round-trip air from Washington to Nairobi on Virgin Atlantic; eight nights' lodging at six safari lodges; nine game-viewing excursions; most meals; and all national park entrance fees. Taxes are an extra $295 per person. Info: 866-462-2374, http:/
* Book a four-night package at Emerald Palms, a resort on South Andros Island in the Bahamas, and receive free airfare from Fort Lauderdale; air is typically about $300. The package, at $775 per person double, includes lodging in a garden villa, breakfast and dinner, and unlimited use of kayak and snorkeling gear. Package is good through Feb. 28. Book by calling 800-504-1794. Resort info: http:/
-- Carol Sottili
Prices were verified and available on Thursday afternoon when the Travel section went to press. However, deals sell out quickly and are not guaranteed to be available. Restrictions such as day of travel, blackout dates and advance-purchase requirements sometimes apply.