Page 3 of 5   <       >

Specialty Travel Resources

* U.S. Army Family and MWR Command ( runs four Armed Forces Recreation Centers (in Florida, Hawaii, Germany and South Korea) and offers discounted hotel accommodations, tours and attractions through its travel service partners.

* U.S. Central Command Rest & Recuperation Leave Program ( is an official site run by the Army G1 (Personnel) Office, providing information on R&;R leave in the United States for soldiers deployed to combat/hostile areas; it provides links to R&R programs in Europe.

Among other resources we found:

* The U.S. General Services Administration, Office of Citizen Services and Communications ( has info on government room rates and active and retired military-specific deals.

* (, a free nongovernmental military membership organization, lists discounts and travel tips and hosts travel discussions.

* The National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association endorses NARFE Travel (800-607-4538,, which arranges cruises, land tours and other trips for members.


The Humane Society of the United States has a page on its Web site devoted to pet care and traveling with pets (202-452-1100, The society's companion animal issues specialist, Kelly Connolly, also recommends the following resources:

* (877-717-2964, features pet-friendly accommodations and travel tips. Also included are a link to finding animal hospitals in travel destinations and an "Ask the Travel Dog" section dealing with pet-caregiver questions.

* ( lists pet-friendly accommodations and travel tips. There's also a pet-sitter component, which could come in handy on the road.

* ( lists pet-friendly lodging and trips, and offers a blog written by staff members.

* The magazine Fido Friendly (; $15 per year), devoted to traveling pets, highlights travel accessories and accommodations, and offers travel tips.

Among other resources we found:

<          3           >

© 2007 The Washington Post Company