Hank Williams Jr. Assault Case Dropped

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
The Associated Press
Sunday, February 25, 2007; 12:51 AM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A misdemeanor assault case against Hank Williams Jr. has been dismissed, nearly a year after a cocktail waitress accused the country singer of yelling obscenities and choking her at a local hotel, a prosecutor said.

"We didn't feel we had a case we could prove," District Attorney General Bill Gibbons said Friday.

Holly Hornbeak, who was 19 at the time of the alleged assault on March 18, testified that Williams, 57, left red marks and bruised her neck when he choked her.

Gibbons would not say whether Hornbeak wanted to drop the case or if the parties reached a financial settlement. A private attorney hired by her parents demanded $250,000 from Williams two days after the alleged assault, but Hornbeak denied that the case was driven by money.

Williams' spokesman did not return phone calls Saturday to The Associated Press. Hornbeak's attorney, R. Dale Thomas, declined to comment.

At the time of the alleged assault, Williams was staying in Memphis while his daughters Holly and Hilary Williams were recovering from injuries suffered in a March 15 car crash near Dundee, Miss.

Williams is the son of country legend Hank Williams and has had a string of No. 1 hits including "Family Tradition" and "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight." He has sung the theme for "Monday Night Football" since 1989.

Earlier this month, Williams filed for divorce from his fourth wife, Mary Jane.


More in Entertainment News

Eye on Entertainment

Surf through pictures of famous faces, including Russell Brand, Taylor Swift, Pamela Anderson, Justin Bieber and others.

Celebritology 2.0

Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney flip through the world of entertainment and stars with their oft-updated blog.

MTV VMA

Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift and others take home honors.

© 2007 The Associated Press

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity