S. Korea Refuses North's Request for Restored Aid
|
|
Saturday, March 3, 2007
SEOUL, March 2 -- South Korea on Friday added pressure on North Korea to comply with an international disarmament agreement, refusing the impoverished nation's demand to restore full aid shipments until after its main nuclear reactor is shut down.
At the first high-level talks between the two Koreas since the North's underground nuclear test in October, the communist nation "agreed to make joint efforts for a smooth implementation" of its pledge last month to take initial steps toward dismantling its atomic program, according to a final statement.
The North and South also agreed to resume family reunions of relatives split by their border and planned test runs of railway lines between the countries.
North Korea and the International Atomic Energy Agency have agreed on March 13 as the starting date for a two-day visit by the agency's chief, Mohamed ElBaradei, U.N. officials said Friday. The officials asked for anonymity because they were not authorized to reveal specifics of the trip, which is expected to help alleviate some misgivings that the unpredictable regime might renege on its agreement to shut down its nuclear facilities.
This week's meetings in Pyongyang were part of the historic reconciliation launched between the Koreas since their leaders met in their first and only summit in 2000. The countries remain technically at war because the cease-fire that ended the 1950-53 Korean War has never been replaced by a peace treaty.
But attempts to bring the countries together have been complicated since 2002, when Washington accused North Korea of secret uranium enrichment efforts that the Bush administration said violated an earlier disarmament deal.
The situation deteriorated further last July when North Korea test-launched a series of missiles, prompting South Korea, one of the North's main sources of aid such as rice and fertilizer, to put the shipments on hold.
Relations worsened after North Korea's Oct. 9 nuclear test. But a breakthrough came last month after a revival of six-nation nuclear negotiations -- including China, Japan, Russia, the United States and the two Koreas -- in which the North pledged to make moves toward abandoning its nuclear program.