Karzai Says Civilian Toll Is No Longer Acceptable

A wounded Afghan lies in a hospital in Herat after a U.S.-led operation in Shindand district, where local officials said 45 to 51 civilians were killed.
A wounded Afghan lies in a hospital in Herat after a U.S.-led operation in Shindand district, where local officials said 45 to 51 civilians were killed. (By Fraidoon Pooyaa -- Associated Press)

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
By Pamela Constable
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, May 3, 2007

KABUL, May 2 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai declared Wednesday that his government can "no longer accept" civilian casualties caused by U.S.-led operations, shortly before news spread that as many as 51 civilians may have died during clashes this week in far western Afghanistan.

Civilian deaths are "becoming a heavy burden and we are not happy about it," Karzai told reporters here.

His remarks came two days after rioting broke out following a protracted battle in western Herat province, where police said as many as 30 residents had been killed during three days of fighting between U.S.-led forces and Taliban insurgents. Several government buildings were stormed by demonstrators, some of whom were wounded by police in the incidents.

Then, on Wednesday, local officials visiting villages in the battle area, in the Shindand district, reported that 45 to 51 civilians had died and that bodies were still being dug out of mud houses that had collapsed in U.S.-led bombing raids.

"So far the people have buried 45 bodies, and they are still taking out more," said Ghulam Nabi Hakak, the Herat representative of the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission, reached by telephone Wednesday night. "Yesterday they buried 12 children. They told us some women and children ran away and got lost and drowned. The exact number of dead is not clear, but the people are very angry."

Spokesmen for the U.S. military said that they had no reports of civilian casualties but that 136 suspected Taliban fighters had been killed in operations in Herat. One spokesman said that he could not comment on specific incidents but that U.S. forces "take every precaution to prevent injury to innocent civilians in every operation we do."

Public anger has been mounting steadily over a string of civilian deaths in the past month during U.S.-led counterterrorist operations. Increasingly, that anger has been directed both at Karzai and at the international forces that are here to back his government as well as hunt down Islamic insurgents.

In eastern Nangahar province this week, hundreds of demonstrators repeatedly blocked a main highway, accusing U.S.-led forces of killing six civilians, including a woman and child, during a counterinsurgency raid. Some students burned President Bush in effigy and shouted "Death to America"; they also demanded that Karzai resign.

Karzai, who has previously expressed regret for such deaths but continued to praise U.S.-led forces for their work in combating insurgents, displayed frustration and anguish when he met with journalists Wednesday after returning from a fence-mending meeting in Ankara, Turkey, with Pakistan's president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf.

"The intention may be very good to fight terrorism, sometimes mistakes are made, but five years on, it is very difficult for us to continue to accept civilian casualties," Karzai said. "It's not understandable anymore." He said he had worked hard to improve coordination between foreign and Afghan forces, especially during raids on villages. "Unfortunately, that has not given results, and we are not happy about that."

According to an Associated Press tally, 151 civilians were killed in violence during the first four months of this year, including at least 51 blamed on the U.S.-led coalition and NATO. The figures do not include the most recent operation in Herat.

The civilian deaths are a byproduct of the intensifying conflict over the past year between thousands of Taliban fighters and about 47,000 U.S.-led and NATO forces. Significant armed clashes now occur regularly in a half-dozen provinces, and the Taliban has launched a campaign of suicide blasts and bombings triggered by remote control in urban areas, as well as against military targets.


CONTINUED     1        >

More World Coverage

Foreign Policy

Partner Site

Your portal to global politics, economics and ideas.

facebook

Connect Online

Share and comment on Post world news on Facebook and Twitter.

day in photos

Day in Photos

Today's events from around the world, captured in photographs.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity