Families Pressure Kaine on Va. Tech

By Tim Craig
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 24, 2007

RICHMOND -- The relatives of 20 students and faculty members killed during the Virginia Tech massacre met with Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) on Saturday to press their demands for a bigger role on the panel investigating the shootings and to raise concerns about how the university handled the incident.

The meeting, described by many as extremely emotional, was convened at the state Capitol so the families could push for the appointment of a liaison to Kaine's Virginia Tech Review Panel who would work with it on a daily basis.

After the meeting, Kaine said that he is committed to giving the parents "as much access to the panel as they want" but that he would not appoint a family member to the eight-member panel.

"The panel membership is going to stay as it is, but I think we heard loud and clear the families want some different ways to interact with the panel," Kaine said.

Some at the meeting said the 40 family members asked pointed questions of the governor, raising concerns about Virginia Tech officials' response to the shootings as well as the actions of school administrators in the subsequent weeks. Concerns were also raised about how the state medical examiner's office handled the release of the bodies. Family members were also upset that they couldn't get their questions answered in the weeks after the rampage.

Many of the relatives declined to speak about the meeting, but those who did focused on their loss.

"My daughter is the issue," said a tearful Celeste Peterson of Centreville, whose only child, Erin, was killed at Virginia Tech. "My child is gone. . . . We do not have our loved ones anymore. I don't have any more children. I don't have any grandchildren. I can't plan a wedding."

The meeting underscored their plans to unite as a potential political force and help guide the investigation.

Before the meeting, a consultant retained by some family members derided Virginia Tech for not doing more to prevent Seung Hui Cho's rampage. Vincent J. Bove, a security expert from New Jersey, said Virginia Tech was "negligent" for not seeing warning signs in Cho's behavior and for not locking down the campus the morning of the shootings.

Cho shot two people about 7:15 a.m. in West Ambler Johnston Hall. He resurfaced two hours later at Norris Hall, where he fired 174 rounds and killed 30 people before turning the gun on himself.

Bove, who noted that the massacre took place days before the eighth anniversary of the school shootings in Columbine, Colo., told reporters: "Virginia Tech failed these families."

"There is a killer at large, and there are not lockdown procedures?" Bove asked. "It's inexcusable. There are not answers that are acceptable except deficiency, incompetence and a lack of judgment, and those young people should have never lost their lives in Norris Hall, and these families should have never lost their children."

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2007 The Washington Post Company