Irene M. Kirkaldy; Case Spurred Freedom Rides

Mrs. Kirkaldy was never interested in any fame, a granddaughter said.
Mrs. Kirkaldy was never interested in any fame, a granddaughter said. (Family Photo)
By Yvonne Shinhoster Lamb
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 13, 2007

Irene Morgan Kirkaldy, 90, who died of Alzheimer's disease Aug. 10 at her home in Gloucester, Va., quietly changed history in 1944 when she refused to give up her seat on a crowded Greyhound bus to a white couple. Her case resulted in a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision outlawing segregation in interstate transportation and sparked the first Freedom Ride in 1947.

Mrs. Kirkaldy's defiance of the discriminatory Jim Crow laws of Virginia came 11 years before Rosa Parks's similar act in Montgomery, Ala., galvanized the civil rights movement and made her a national icon. Without fanfare, Mrs. Kirkaldy's early case provided a winning strategy for fighting racial segregation in the courts.

On the July morning in 1944 when she boarded a Greyhound bus in Gloucester bound for Baltimore, Mrs. Kirkaldy was not thinking about tackling racial segregation. Instead, the 27-year-old mother of two, who was recovering from a miscarriage, just wanted a comfortable seat for her lengthy ride home to see a doctor.

She settled into an aisle seat in the fourth row from the back -- in the section designated under Virginia's segregation laws for black passengers. Beside her sat a young mother cuddling an infant.

About a half-hour into the trip, the bus stopped, and a white couple boarded. When the driver ordered Mrs. Kirkaldy, then known as Irene Morgan, and her seatmate to give up their seats, Mrs. Kirkaldy refused. She also told the young woman to stay put.

"I can't see how anybody in the same circumstance could do otherwise," Mrs. Kirkaldy told Washington Post reporter Carol Morello in 2000. "I didn't do anything wrong. I'd paid for my seat. I was sitting where I was supposed to."

The Greyhound bus driver, however, thought otherwise. He drove to the jail in Saluda, Va., in Middlesex County, where a sheriff's deputy boarded the bus and gave Mrs. Kirkaldy a warrant for her arrest.

In a daring and dangerous move, she tore up the warrant and threw it out the window. The deputy then grabbed her arm and tried to yank her off the bus. She didn't go peacefully.

"He touched me," she recounted to The Post. "That's when I kicked him in a very bad place. He hobbled off, and another one came on. He was trying to put his hands on me to get me off. I was going to bite him, but he was dirty, so I clawed him instead. I ripped his shirt. We were both pulling at each other. He said he'd use his nightstick. I said, 'We'll whip each other.' "

After being dragged off the bus, she was thrown in jail. Mrs. Kirkaldy pleaded guilty to the charge of resisting arrest and was fined $100 but refused to plead guilty to violating Virginia's segregation law.

At her trial in Middlesex Circuit Court, her attorney, Spottswood Robinson III, argued that segregation laws unfairly impeded interstate commerce. Robinson, who later became chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District, made a strategic decision not to argue that the laws were unfair under the 14th Amendment guarantee of equal protection, because racial segregation, while unjust, was the law of the land.

The strategy failed the first time around. Mrs. Kirkaldy was found guilty and fined $10.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2007 The Washington Post Company