Abdul Basit Balochi (Mahmoud Kareem), alias Ramzi Ahmed Yousef

Washington Post Archives
Wednesday, September 12, 2007; 1:46 PM

* April 27, 1968: Yousef is born in Kuwait.

* 1968-1986: Yousef grows up and is educated through high school in Fahaheel, Kuwait.

* 1986: Yousef leaves Kuwait for Britain to attend Swansea Institute in Wales.

* 1989: Yousef graduates with an electronic engineering degree from Swansea and returns to Kuwait.

* Aug. 26, 1990: Yousef leaves Kuwait City for Pakistan via Iran, three weeks after Iraqi forces invade and begin a seven-month occupation of Kuwait.

* Early 1991: Yousef makes his first trip to the Philippines to establish a base of operations for his terrorst activities in the Far East. He makes contact with Islamic militants of the Abu Sayyaf group, including Edwin Angeles, a Filipino who later defects and discloses details of Yousef's plans and activities there.

* Early 1992: Yousef holds a meeting with Abu Sayyaf group leader, Abubakar Janjalani, in his hometown of Isabella, capital of Basilan Island in the Philippines. He says Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, the Egpytian cleric, sent him to find Janjalani and offer assistance. The two discuss plans to make the Philippines a center for international terrorist operations.

* April 12, 1992: Yousef travels from Baghdad to Pakistan via Jordan on an Iraqi passport.

* May 30 to Sept. 1 1992: Yousef remains in Pakistan, part of the time in Peshawar, headquarters of Afghan and Arab Islamic groups.

* Sept. 1, 1992: Yousef arrives at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York on an Iraqi passport and seeks asylum citing "political and religious reasons." He is admitted to the U.S., but his Palestinian colleague, Ahmad Mohammad Ajaj, is sent to jail for traveling on a false passport.

* Sept. 4, 1992: Yousef begins rooming in three different Jersey City apartments with Mohammad Salameh, a Palestinian with relatives in Baghdad who remains his roommate until the World Trade Center bombing.

* Feb. 26, 1993: A 1,200- to 1,500-pound bomb made out of urea nitrate and ammonium nitrate goes off in the World Trade Center garage, killing six and injuring more than 1,000 others. Yousef leaves New York a few hours later for Karachi.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2007 The Washington Post Company