|Page 2 of 2 <|
Abdul Basit Balochi (Mahmoud Kareem), alias Ramzi Ahmed Yousef
* Feb, 28, 1993: A bomb goes off at the Zamboanga International Airport in the southern Philippines. The Abu Sayyaf group is suspected but does not claim responsibility for the bombing.
* July 23-Aug. 6, 1993: Yousef is treated at two Karachi hospitals after a bomb he was building goes off prematurely. He sustains injuries to one eye and both hands. Pakistani authorities say the bomb was to be used to assassinate Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
* June 20, 1994: A bomb goes off at the Mausoleum of Imam Reza, a Shiite religious cleric, in Mashad, Iran, killing 25 people and injuring more than 100 others.
* Dec. 11, 1994: Yousef allegedly places a bomb on Philippines Airline Flight 434 bound for Tokyo, killing one Japanese passenger and injuring 10 others. The Abu Sayyaf group claims responsibility.
* Jan. 6, 1995: Philippines police arrest Yousef's colleague, Abdul Hakim Murad, after firemen are called to their Manila apartment. Later, authorities find bomb-making manuals and materials, a map of the route Pope John Paul II was to take during a visit to Manila, and computer tapes showing flight schedules of U.S. airlines. Yousef escapes and returns to Pakistan.
* Jan. 12-16, 1995: The pope visits the Philippines without incident.
* Jan 22, 1995: This is the date Yousef and Murad are said to have chosen for blowing up two United Airlines jumbo jets simultaneously as they approached Hong Kong -- one arriving from Los Angeles and the other from Singapore.
* Feb. 7, 1995: Yousef is arrested at a guest house in Islamabad and taken the next day back to New York City to stand trial.
* March 31, 1995: Yousef charged with murder in Manila for his role in the Philippines airlines bombing.
* April 12, 1995: Murad turned over to U.S. authorities in Manila and extradicted to New York. Ramzi Ahmed Yousef's Career
* UNITED STATES -- Charged with leading supporters of radical Egyptian cleric Omar Abdel Rahman in bombing of the World Trade Center, Febraury 26, 1993
* PAKISTAN -- Worked in Karachi with Sapha-i-Sahaba, a small, violent radical Islamic political party with an estimated 3,000 to 6,000 members, beginning in 1993. Investigators believed he planned to assasinate Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto (above); a bomb he was mixing blew up in his hands in July, 1993.
* PHILIPPINES -- Works with Abu Sayyaf, militant Islamic group (below) based in Mindinao beginning in early 1991. Helped plan Febraury 1993 bombing of Zamboanga International Airport in southern Philippines; discussed plans to bomb U.S. airliners, assasinate Pope.
* SAUDI ARABIA -- Received financial support from Saudi businessman Munir Ibrahim Ahmed.
* IRAQ -- Travelled to New York for the Trade Center Bombing on an Iraqi passport; three conspirators had ties to Iraq.
* IRAN -- Linked to July 1994 bombing of Shiite shrine in Mashad, in which 25 were killed.
* AFGHANISTAN -- Cooperated with Arab fighters operating inside the country in support of Islamic guerrillas.